Please sign in to post.

Prague in December 2024

Prague in Christmas has always been on my bucket list. For one, I've never travelled to Europe during this holiday season. Can anyone please share some of your experiences and/or tips on to survive the winter trip to Prague, and perhaps parts of Austria? When is the best time in December to be there? Where else can we go after exploring the old town? Thank you for your help.
TS

Posted by
6278 posts

I was in both Prague and Vienna in early January, twice. Both times Vienna was a bit chilly (probably about 25 F) and blustery, but didn't hinder sightseeing. Both times Prague was about 45 and sunny. Balmy by MN winter standards and we loved it.

I was in Salzburg in January and it was gorgeous. It also was snowing a lot.

I would want waterproof shoes or boots. I can't stand to wear snow boats all day. I think Allbird mizzles would be a great option. I brought BOGS and was happy to have them and they pack small.

Posted by
19461 posts

The most common tour is Prague, Vienna, Budapest. The temps on 15 December are nearly identical in all three cities: 32F to 37F. But lows as low as 25F and highs of 48F are very possible. We had a warm winter this last year. Christmas Day was 42F to 53F and Prague was similar.

Water resistant shoes are great if it snows and you are in it when the thaw begins. Snowed here 2 days last year, both after Christmas. Neither more than 6 inches and it was gone in 2 days. This is among the drier time of year for all three cities.

Great time to visit one or all. The markets are good, the lights and atmosphere all over the city is great. The theaters and music in full swing. A good time for the arts. Culture, wine, food.

Sure, it's cold but it's a life style in Central Europe and they enjoy right through it.

Posted by
4 posts

Please forgive my ignorance for asking, but when it snows, do people typically stay indoors, like they normally would if caught in the rain, or is it still possible to venture out? I’m from San Jose, California, and have never lived in a snowy climate. Thank you.

Posted by
1296 posts

I love Prague, and it's one of my favorite big cities to walk around. As much as I like it in the spring, I like it even more when it snows. One of my fondest memories is that of walking across the main square at night, snow falling, the lights turning all the pastel-colored buildings into an Impressionist blur and hearing the Astronomical Clock chiming the hour.

You want some good, waterproof, insulated, boots. I like Mephisto and Columbia, both of which get a lot of wear between November and April.

My favorite hotel is Domus Balthasar Boutique Hotel which is right on the main road into the lower town. No lift, but try to get the top floor apartment.

You want to end your trip before 21 DEC this year, due to the holidays.

Do take the time to walk up to the castle after dark. Take the walk along the river on the west side and see the penguins. Walk the Jewish quarter in the early evening. You can get pictures without the crowds after 8pm and before 8am. There's a Shakespear & Co bookstore just off the west end of the St Charles Bridge. Do take the tour of the castle. Do visit the Technical Museum, and there used to be some good vintage and antique shops in that area north of the river. South of the old town was always good for less expensive food and beer, and good music. People smoke, and you cannot complain; get used to it, because the restaurants and bars in winter will be very different than Palo Alto or Saratoga.

Prague is an easy train ride to Vienna or Nuremberg. Pilsen and Brno are interesting. If there's snow people will be going to Slovakia to ski.

Posted by
19461 posts

In Prague the average is 6 days with snow in December. In Budapest it is 3 days. But with snow doesnt mean enough to stick. had no snow on the ground last December. But a few days with flakes in the air. Snow, short of a blizzard stops no one. You dont even get "wet". If there is a large accumulaton of snow on the ground (twice last year in Janualry we had 4 to 8 inches on the ground), when it starts to melt after a day or two it gets slushy and messy but the sidewalks are always cleaned. Otherwise no issues with wet feet in the winter. Generaly the winter monthns are among the driest in central Europe.. I went through a lot of winters here in tennis shoes and a warm pair of woll socks (ducks unlimited). But if you have room in your luggage for heavy insulated boots, wouldn't hurt.

Posted by
19461 posts

You want to end your trip before 21 DEC this year, due to the
holidays.

Not sure why? The markets and the festivities continue until the 24th; and they might start up again on the 26th (they do here, dont know about Prague).

On the 24th you may have to be happy with a walk along the avenues enjoying the lights or dinner on a river cruise or a nice 4 or 5 star hotel restaurant. The 25th and the 26th there are some things closed, but also a lot to do. You just have to research and plan. There are Prague junkies here that can help you with that. Hopefully the come along soon. I know it to be true, because its not hard to keep people occupied and enjoying through the Christmas holidays here and Budapest cant be that much different.

Posted by
6278 posts

We were in both Budapest, Salzburg and Vienna during snow storms. Seemed like the locals were quite excited about it. Many had their children out sledding. Snow was kind of wet/slushy and slippery so keep that in mind for footwear. All three cities were gorgeous with the snow.