Please sign in to post.

Prague-Budapest 279 danubis carriage seat plan

This may seem picky, but for someone who gets severe motion sickness, I need to know how to reserve a seat facing the direction the train is traveling in, and in a car with least movement, e.g. close to front of train. Any suggestion on how to read their carriage seat plans, e.g. is WC at the front or back of the carriage? Help!

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for the information and sites, I have looked at them, but they don't provide an answer. The Czech train site gives a plan of the cars, and to figure out which is the front of the car, if I know where the WC is placed (at the front or back), I think I will know which is the front of the car. Any suggestions?

Posted by
8889 posts

Flannie, The front of the train has no less or more movement than the back of the train. It makes no difference. It is impossible to predict which way a train will be going.

• Trains do not have a front and a back, they can go either direction. Any seat that is going forwards ftom A to B, will be going backwards when the train returns from B to A, and vice-versa.
  • In some stations the train changes direction, so the seats which are going forwards for the first part of the journey are going backwards for the second part, and vice-versa.
  • Even if one seat is facing forward one day, it may not be the next day, depending on what the train has done in between.

If there are two of you, the usual solution is to buy two facing seats, then decide on the day who takes which seat.
Sorry.

Posted by
20085 posts

To get the actual train car seating arrangement, click on the seating plan shown here: http://www.seat61.com/Europe-train-seat-plans.htm#Czech_Republic
The train composition plan shown previously show mostly 2nd class cars with space for bicycle transport on one end of the car and toilets on the opposite end. Even seat 61 says when you reserve a seat, you cannot pick the precise seat.
If you are worried about reserving a seat, I suggest not doing it, its not required. When you board the the train, get in the car you want and sit in an unreserved seat where you want on the train. There will not be that many people reserving a seat. It costs equivalent of 4 EUR per seat and that could represent 20% of the ticket cost. You will board the train at Prague main station (I assume) so get there 20 minutes early and you can be standing on the platform when they spot the train. It originates at Prague, so you will be among the first people to board the train and will have your pick of seats.