Please sign in to post.

Prague and Czech Republic

Hi. Any advice on:
1. getting from Paris, after our RS Tour, to Prague (fly...any recommended airlines?)
2. Any advice on a 3 day stay in Prague...Is this enough time?
3. We plan to stay in Prague for 3 days then Train or private car to Karlovy Vary (going west) for an overnight then make our way to Nuremberg Germany
for 2 days then get to Frankfurt to stay at a hotel in city center and fly home from Frankfurt. Any thoughts on travelling from Prague going west and staying in any town or is Karlovy Vary a good stop for an overnight stay
Thank You. Fred & Deb

Posted by
4706 posts

It would be helpful to know when this trip will occur. Safe travels!

Posted by
204 posts

Fred & Deb,
I went west from Prague to Pilsen last October. Easy trip on the train. I imagine that getting to Karlovy Vary would be as equally easy.

Then I went from Pilsen to Bamberg, Germany (yes, I was on a beer trip). This was much more difficult. Every train going into Germany was a local with stops in every town along the way. Getting to Nuremberg appears to be only local trains and you might end up spending a half day on trains with multiple connections.

Is three days enough in Prague? Yes, it was for me. As with any city, it really depends on what you want to see and do. For example, you can spend a half day or a full day at Prague Castle depending on how deep you want to dive into each museum, chuch or shop.

I don't have an airline recommendation. I arrived in Prague via train from Vienna.

Posted by
4518 posts

-2. Like any capital a person can spend 10 days without running out of things to see.

-3. The usual route to Karlovy Vary from Prague is bus, not train. The trip to Nuremberg from KV might be easier by bus, or a bus to Cheb (also a famous town) and then a German train from there into Nuremberg.

This is a very pretty area so the time in transit is not really wasted. Spending time exploring the small Bohemian towns and spas starting in KV and heading to the German border would be a great week spent.

Posted by
35 posts

Thank Each of you for your replies. We truly appreciate your thoughts, information and advice. Fred and Deb

Posted by
1604 posts

Karlovy Vary is a wonderful stop for an overnight or even more. It's a beautiful city with Art Nouveau architecture and surrounded by mountains with a river running through it. You can purchase cups and walk around the city filling them up with mineral springs water from faucets. Make sure you have a relaxing spa treatment!

What I like about KV is that it is very, very different from Prague so you have a nice variety.

Posted by
407 posts

Just a note about the mineral springs or what we call "Pramen". Each spring has a name plate which tells you the temperature of the water. Aim for the higher temperatures like 60 degrees C and above. The lower temperatures are perfectly ok but they are often linked with the correction of constipation so there is a laxative element. Some of the springs are quite high in carbon dioxide which will give them a slightly metallic taste. If you want to learn more about the springs check the official city site https://www.karlovyvary.cz/en/hot-spring.