Please sign in to post.

Places to stay in Prague

What is a good location for my mom and I to stay in while in Prague. I am looking for mid range accommodations. Any advice is appreciated. Happy Holidays.

Posted by
26840 posts

It would be helpful if you explained what you mean by "mid range"--preferably in euros.

Posted by
67 posts

We stayed at an airbnb right in old town square and it was so much nicer and comfy, with great views, than our friends who stayed at the Hyatt hotel (and paid double of what we did!). Check on those. The bonus is our Airbnb hosts gave us tips on good eats, helped us arranged for taxi transports etc...

Posted by
882 posts

It would also be helpful if we knew.....
1. When you are planning to visit Prague?
2. What you would like to see while there?
3. Are you interested in "going it alone" or are you interested in joining half-day or full day tours while there?
4. Do you feel comfortable using public transportation?
5. Are you willing to accept a large impersonal hotel experience for the sake of convenience?

For example, The Intercontinental Hotel is very near the Jewish Quarter, the Charles Bridge, Old Town but not near St. Vitas Cathedral, requiring transport. Many tours begin and end there but Prague is a safe and easy city to manage on your own.
The public transport system is good and easy to use. The Intercontinental is large and impersonal, but is located conveniently.
A day trip to Terezin is highly recommended as is a visit to Pilsen.
When spring turns to summer, all costs rise.....airfare, lodging, etc.

Posted by
7011 posts

I stayed at Pushkin Apartments. Convenient location in old town and nice roomy apartment at a budget price (<$100/night). If you don't need a 24 hr front desk and included breakfast it's wonderful. I loved my stay there.

Posted by
5687 posts

I like the Mala Strana area of Prague - it's on the west side of the river across from the old town. (On a map, say on Booking.com , find the Charles bridge - Mala Strana is at the west end of it.) Much of central Prague is a tourist zone anyway; Mala Strana may be slightly less so. Make sure you don't get a place on the steep hill going up to the castle - I had such a place on my very first stay in Prague and it was a bit of a pain going up and down the hill.

The old town is not a bad area either.

Posted by
2455 posts

It's been a few years, but I enjoyed the Green Garland Inn, which is a B & B. It is just a very few minutes walk from the Town Square and from Charles Bridge, comfortable, affordable (under $100/night in early July, in 2011), fine breakfast. No elevator, and some of the rooms are up a flight or more.

Posted by
2636 posts

I would suggest you look at Booking.com,there map is really good and you can filter for various types of property. I would suggest you stay in the Old Town area (mainly Prgaue 1) but if you can get a good dela further out just make sure you are near a metro or tram line. Prague has apublic tramsport thta is the best i have experienced

Posted by
5835 posts

Similar experience as Larry, the Green Garland Pension (Pension U Zeleného vence) in Old Town a number of years ago:

http://www.uzv.cz/about/

Great location (short walk from Clock and Bridge). Peaceful end of "alley" old town street. Big rooms but no lift. Very good not your french continental breakfast. Pricing varies with the season with very good winter off season rates.

Green Garland accepts credit cards but are so trusting that they don't ask for a credit card to hold your booking. You are expected to show up or cancel if you are not going to show up.