Please sign in to post.

New trains for 2017

České dráhy (Czech Railways) have just announced a new overnight service from Prague to Zurich and a new daily daytime direct route from Prague to Krakow. The schedules haven't been published yet, but the trains will be service by the spring of 2017.

Posted by
16893 posts

It will be great to have that daytime train on the Krakow route. Zurich-Prague night trains are running currently, but maybe management will change.

Posted by
356 posts

I'm not sure if the service currently exists, but ČD are certainly billing it as an exciting new route for 2017. I had a Swiss man on tour with me yesterday so expressed dismay that he was not able to take any type of direct train from Switzerland to Prague; he was something of train enthusiast, having once taken a train from Zurich to Beijing.

Also, RegioJet have just started running their trains on the Prague - Brno - Bratislava route. They are famous for their "in-flight" service - endless free drinks and a decent food offering. Also, their trains all operate a mandatory reservation policy, meaning that you must have a seat. Speaking as someone who spent an hour and a half standing on a crowded ČD international train last week, there is a lot to be said for a seat with your name on it.

Posted by
650 posts

According to The Man in Seat 61 the CNL from Prague to Zurich is being taken over by OBB whose night trains will be called NightJet. It will route through Linz instead of Dresden so it can no longer be used Zurich to Dresden. The changes are as of December 11, 2016. http://www.seat61.com/news.htm

Posted by
17959 posts

And the Chinese are building a high speed rail from Budapest to Belgrade that will cut that trip to 2 hours opening up the Adriatic Coast, through connections, from Dubrovnik south. Hoping to see it in early 2019. World is getting smaller.

Posted by
533 posts

Reading Marcus's post reminds me of the incessant loudspeaker chime and České dráhy this.. and České dráhy that.. every minute or two while standing on the platform. It's ok for the first 10 or 15 minutes. After that its just plain bothersome.

Posted by
4637 posts

Loudspeaker on the platforms is announcing trains and what time and which platform they are arriving or leaving and where they are going and it's also announcing delays. It is not propaganda for Ceske drahy.

Posted by
14524 posts

True that Ceské drahy makes the announcements in Czech (obviously) over and over when one is standing there on the platform, as I experienced in Brno going to Slavkov in June. The CD trains were impressive, very comfortable, much better than those I rode the last time in the Czech Rep in 2001 from Pilsen to Nuremberg. Good that CD is offering a direct day route from Prague to Krakow, which gives me another option in addition to the EN night train. Prague to Zürich night is very doable.

Posted by
4637 posts

Marcus, you are right, Regio Jet has mandatory reservation policy so everybody is sitting. But you did not have to spend one and half hour standing on international CD train. You could have bought a reservation for a seat too. It is your choice; you buy it and pay a very little bit more or you risk your chance that train won't be full.