Please sign in to post.

Looking for Prague hotel recommendations for Dec 2019

Dec 2019 we are booked for the RS Tour through Munich, Salzburg and Vienna and then plan to take the train to Prague for an additional 4 nights.

We are a healthy couple in our 50’s that generally like to walk to see the places we visit. I have been to Prague previously in Dec but this will be my husband’s first visit. I have the Rick Steve’s Prague travel book from 2012 but I’m not sure if the “Places to Stay” would be the same this many years later and so am looking for recommendations for hotels. We would like something convenient to Old Town and because the weather could be quite cold, would prefer to keep walking distances shorter to tourist sites. A well located hotel and more comfortable is preferred.

Any recommendations of “not to miss” things would be appreciated. We will do the standard tourist and historical sites. May hire a private guide if there is something to see that would benefit by this.

Appreciate your help!

Posted by
1219 posts

We stayed at the Green Garland B&B and were really pleased with it. It is very close to the Old Town Square and Charles Bridge but on an amazingly quiet side street.

Posted by
3688 posts

We stayed at Residence Agnes in 2015. It was excellent and about a 10-minute walk to old town.

Posted by
5581 posts

We really liked Hotel Hastal very close to old town. We were there in January, so we appreciated how close it was to everything, too. We from Minnesota, and when we were there, we thought the weather was quite nice! I recall sunny skies and mid 40s. The hotel has a good, filling breakfast included. We actually arrived from Prague at about 8 in the morning and miraculously, they gave us a room immediately! https://www.hotelhastalprague.com/en/
We spent a day at Prague castle and a lot of time walking around Mala Strana. If you have the time, the monastery close to the castle is very nice.

Posted by
5835 posts

We also enjoyed the Green Garland. Reception staff was very helpful. Continental breakfast is included and very substanatial with baked products. We had a very large room on the first floor (above street level). https://www.uzv.cz/about-us/

Note that 1-22 December is "middle season" rates, then closed 23 Dec 11am through 26 Dec 2pm, the reopens with holiday rates through New Years Day. https://www.uzv.cz/room-rates-services/

Posted by
503 posts

I have stayed at the Hotel Metamorphis twice. Once on a RS tour and once on our own. It's about a 2 minute walk to the old town square and therefore close to many restaurants and sights. If you are interested in WWII history, I would highly recommend a tour to Terezin concentration camp outside of Prague. The company we used picked us up and returned us to our hotel and the guide was incredible both in his knowledge and presentation. Plan on it being an entire day trip.

Posted by
342 posts

We stayed at the Dominican Hotel in 2016. Beautiful building right in old Town. We walked everywhere and the room was so comfortable for relaxing after a long day. Highly recommend!

Posted by
703 posts

we just booked out this morning ( 4 nights- 3 full days was enough for us) of the Iron gate hotel/suites. ( 4 adults in their 50's) it was perfect for us. great location , with the main square only 'metres' away. the breakfasts ( included) were very good great selection cooked right there ( also gluten free bread and soy milk, when requested) the staff were so helpful.
suggest you watch the series of youtube videos by the 'honest guide' of prague. we found his videos very helpful.
hope this helps.
ps: we just caught the train to vienna this morning, nice 4 hour trip. ( we booked our train tickets early and got business class tickets, better than 1st class)
prague was very crowded with tourists and the markets seemed to be geared toward tourist ( eg: food scams etc) whereas vienna tonight we just walked around the town market ( far less people and they look more like office workers etc, rather than tourists) the items for sale seemed more authentic, rather than mass produced, if you know what I mean

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you very much for your replies, the information has been very helpful.

glennlorrainer can you tell me who/where you booked your train tickets through and how far in advance you were able to do so?

Posted by
2455 posts

Another vote for the Green Garland Inn, where I stayed way back in 2011.

Posted by
703 posts

we booked our train tickets, via Trainline.eu, approx 2 months before ( the train time tables changed around now, so we had to wait on some occasions, for our trip, to make sure the times were correct) you 'may' be able to book earlier? we selected 1st class but were assigned business class . there was only 6 very large seats in business, with heaps of room ( much better than 1st class ( not sure how that works?) the tickets cost approx 40 euro each ( including seat reservation), which we were happy to pay, for a bit of 'luxury'. other people mention 2nd class is OK, and it is, but hey, why not?, for the longer trips.
hope this helps.
be prepared to battle the tourists in Prague, particularly in the afternoon and night. the streets are a wash with people.also double check the price of food in the main square Xmas market. it is very tempting to buy it, but some of it is approx 100krn per 100gram for memory, which works out to roughly $44US per kilo, for 'average' street food. depends on if you want the Xmas feeling of standing around eating? some of the Xmas markets had the same food for half the price!

Posted by
29 posts

Residence Agnes! The best of the best! And if you ask for the guide-they have several, ask for Marketa, she is amazing!

Posted by
804 posts

Hotel Residence Agnes is a true gem! Amazing staff who can not do enough for their guests. As for private guides, we took a private tour Prague's Jewish Quarter with Anna, who is part of Pavel Batel's staff and she was terrific. We also visited Terezin as a day trip with Pavel himself. Highly recommend both of them. http://terezin-private-tours.com/?page_type=article&page=1
While you are in Prague, Vienna and Salzburg look for the Stolperstein blocks throughout the cities.

Posted by
404 posts

All great choices above. Your RS 2012 book will still be pretty accurate with the exception of a couple of upgrades (Hastal went from a 3 star to a 4 star) and some rebranding (Metamorphis has been replaced by the Josephine but they seem to be trading under both names). Alcron lost it's Michelin Star. Field is now one of the top restaurants in the city. Charles Bridge hasn't changed much.......... Also note in the same area as Agnes and Hastal are the Casa Marcelo and the Maximilian. Kings Court puts you on Republic Square which has my favourite Christmas Market and you're only a 5 minute walk from the Old Town Square.

Posted by
668 posts

Interesting, Jason, about Hotel Metamorphis changing to Josephine Hotel. We are taking the RS Eastern Europe trip in September 2019, and our initial letter said that we are staying at Hotel Metamorphis, so I hope that either RS will send us an update, or the name won't be changed on the outside of the hotel. That could lead to some confusion!

Posted by
672 posts

Another thumbs up for Hotel Residence Agnes. We stayed there in August 2015. The staff were amazing. They picked us up at the main train station upon arrival in Prague and, when we reached the hotel, offered me a beer and a phone for me to contact Verizon Customer Service to get my cell phone activated when it didn't connect to cell service upon arrival in Prague. They also offered to drive us anywhere we wanted to go in Prague, and we took them up on that generous offer a few times. The hotel was clean and comfortable, in a great location (easy walk to the Old Town), and the breakfast buffet was excellent. Would definitely stay there again during a future visit to Prague.

Posted by
404 posts

naalehuretiree

I'm sure it will be the same location i.e. the Tyn Courtyard but if you check the various photogalleries of the Metamorphis, Metamorphis Excellent and Josephine you'll find a lot of overlapping pictures. As I'm walking around these places all the time I see when they start playing these little marketing games. All nice places, no complaints and you get a deal on the beer spa because you're a guest......if you like that sort of thing.......and your 2012 guide will have an out of date picture of the Astronomical Clock as we now have it nicely renovated. Enjoy your trip

Posted by
4637 posts

I stayed in many hotels in Prague. The most impressive was Hotel U prince. Cannot be located more central. It's right on Old Town Square. http://www.hoteluprince.com
Hotel u Zlate Studne = Golden Well Hotel. It looks really gorgeous. I haven't stayed there yet. It's on my list next visit. http://www.goldenwell.cz