Please sign in to post.

Locking luggage

Hi all,
My understanding is that the airlines and TSA discourage putting locks on luggage. What are the guidelines when checking bags for international flights? When do others lock their bags, e.g. in hotel rooms?
Thanks,
Dave

Posted by
2701 posts

There are an abundance of TSA approved locks. Buy one. I don't lock bags in the hotel room. I use the safe.

Posted by
3688 posts

When I travel outside of the US, I don't lock my luggage though my luggage comes with TSA approved locks. I am not convinced that TSA approved locks will not be broken/cut off by non-US security if they want to go into my bag.

Posted by
23245 posts

TSA locks, at best, only good for domestic travel. Several reports here that the TSA locks being cut off in Europe. I use plastic wire ties to secure all of our bags either in the US or international. For the price of one TSA lock I can buy hundreds of plastic wire ties. However carry something to cut off the ties once you arrive. I carry a big toe nail clipper. On a daily bases where traveling by train, bus, etc., I use the light weight three or four dial comb locks. My purpose of locking our bags serves two purposes - one is to prevent accidental opening of our bag and second is a slight discouragement to a potential theft.

Posted by
8346 posts

Pickproof seals on Amazon are TSA approved and work great. These yellow plastic tie locks tell you if your bags have been opened by anyone and keep the zippers from opening accidentally which is really the most you can hope for. No lock is really going to keep a determined thief out. They can be opened with out any special tools upon arrival.

Posted by
14503 posts

When flying to Europe from here, I don't lock my spinner that is checked in. This last time in May, the spinner at departure SFO to London, unlocked, weighed 28 pounds at check-in, came back at 33 pounds, also unlocked, LHR to SFO. . Like wise for domestic flights , say SFO to SEA-Tac On this trip in all the Pensionen, B&Bs, and hotel rooms, I never locked the spinner. Why should I? I have nothing "they" want anyway.

Posted by
7811 posts

Use a TSA approved lock or do not lock them. Carry on or do not bring anything you can not afford to lose.

Posted by
2701 posts

The only time I check a bag on international flights are inbound if I have purchased items that won't or can't go in a carry on (like those steak knives from France). But, I don't want to lose that stuff. I feel a little better with the TSA lock than with something that can be cut with a nail clipper. There is theft among luggage handlers. If security needs to get in my bag they need a bolt cutter, and I lose the lock. Hasn't happened yet, but sure, it may.

Posted by
2745 posts

TSA locks are useless. I think they just tell the thief, "look valuables"

If the TSA can open them anyone can! (Just do a youtube search)

Posted by
4802 posts

Luggage locks simply keep honest people honest by discouraging casual theft. If a pro (or determined amateur) wants to get what's inside they'll do it.

Posted by
495 posts

I have always locked my luggage with electrical ties in different colours and never had a problem and was never asked to remove them; this is on International overseas and Domestic flights! If I was ever asked to open my luggage up for inspection, I always have extra ties on me just in case this happens. I have rounded edge scissors in an unlocked outside pocket to cut when we arrive at our destination.
J