Please sign in to post.

Local Guide - Prague

Rick Steves has suggested looking into a local guide with a car to provide a tour of the city. Has anyone done this, and would you recommend it? What did it cost? Would we let the guide know what we want, or is there a set tour that they do?

Anyone have a local guide to recommend? Thanks.

Posted by
195 posts

Last spring we (2 couples) were in Prague and hired a guide ....Teresa with praguewalkers...for 2 1/2 day tours. Web is tours@praguewalkers.com. Teresa was fabulous, taking us to many places we would not have found on our own. The tour was geared toward our interests, based on what information I had provided before arriving in Prague. There also are prearranged tours available. The cost was about $70 per couple per tour, I believe, not including minimal admission fees. We were very interested in touring the Jewish District and Teresa provided much personal information in that area (stories about her grandmother, for example) . We enjoyed her so much that we also booked a Terezin tour with her for the following day. All the tours were wonderful, all were small (in our case, 4 people, as we requested) , Teresa was charming, informative, and knowledgeable. Also, based on glowing recommendations from friends who had visited Prague a month earlier, we had signed up for a "Taste of Prague" tour (website....tasteofprague.com)and that was amazing and so fun. One of the many highlights of our fabulous stay in Prague. I highly recommend both tour companies to anyone going to this fascinating, lovely city!!! Might I add....none of us are tour people.....all 4 of us much prefer independent travel!! Prague just seemed to necessitate a tour or two, and we are very glad that we did take these tours!!! May even take more local/city tours in the future!!!!

Posted by
6431 posts

Martina Cermakova did an excellent job on short notice with a large group of us a few years back, took us through the Jewish Quarter, Old Town, and on a bus all the way to Krakow. I'm sure she would be even better with a small group.