Please sign in to post.

Kutna Hora

Is Kutna Hora worth a day trip from Prague? Thank you.

Posted by
3862 posts

We stopped for a half day on our way to Cesky Krumlov. We toured the bone church and took a very interesting but claustrophobic tour of the silver mine there. We also took a Quick Look inside the Church of St. Barbara.

If you’ve been in a bone church in another city, no need to see another.
If you are claustrophobic skip the mine tour.
There might be something else of interest but I didn’t find it.
So I guess not really, especially if you have limited time in Prague.

Posted by
2359 posts

I did a half day tour from Prague. I enjoyed riding the train through the countryside. The bone church was interesting and I liked the small town and their gothic church. But I wouldn't take time away from Prague if you have limited time there (e.g., less than three days, stick with Prague).

Posted by
408 posts

I think Barbara and CL have pretty much nailed it. I would add that organised bus tours do there and back in 5-6 hours and that will be just the main sites listed above. People who do this on their own go by train and spend a day with those sites but also just exploring the typically provincial town and it's nice by the river in the summer. You can't take your own photos in the Bone Church i.e. you have to buy their postcards.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the replies. Think our time will be better spent enjoying Prague - we have visited an ossuary, so don't need to see that again.

Posted by
10 posts

If we have 3 1/2 days in Prague should we visit Kutna Hora? If yes, which guided tour offers the best tour for the money or is it easy enough to figure out how to get there on our own?

Posted by
11 posts

I really enjoyed Kutna Hora, but if you're going to Prague for the first time, use your few days there.
If you're back for a second trip, or have an extended time with Prague as your home base, Kutna Hora is a great 1/2-3/4 day trip. I would rather do that over trying to turn Cesky Krumlov into a day trip. That town is WAY WAY better as an overnight, especially once the main tour groups head out.

Self-Guiding Kutna Hora is very easy. Book your tickets through Cesky Drahy. I think even day of would be fine for that route. You may, if it's high season, want to pay the little bit extra for a seat reservation, as they can get quite busy (although Pilsen was much busier)

Walk into the town, see Sedlec Ossuary, walk to the Cathedral. The tour up to the top of the Cathedral was cool (IIRC that that's where I did it) due to being able to see how the vaulting works. Grab a nice lunch, then walk to taxi back to the train station. You're back in Prague before dinner.

Jason, that must be a change from when I went -- I believe I paid a little extra to have photo access.