Please sign in to post.

Independence Day (October) Czech - 100th anniversary

We're planning ahead for our 2018 trip and noticed that Oct 28 is the 100TH anniversary of the Czech Independence Day and th day we will be in Prague. Any ideas on how crowded, rowdy or festive it will be in the main touristy part of Prague?

Any special activities to note or advice?
Is English commonly spoken in Prague (its been over 20 yrs since I've visited.
We are traveling as a group of 18 (all over 50)....

Many thanks!

Posted by
2637 posts

not sure if it will be celebrated at all as October 1918 was the formation on Czechoslovakia and the area has gone through several traumatic changes since then,Czech Independance day is January 1st 1993 when they separated from Slovakia, there may be some celebrations next October and I will ask my friends in Prague if anything might be going on but if anything it is likely to be fairly low keyed.
As to English being spoken , yes it is very common and all the folk under about 30 will speak it reasonably well to excellent and many older folk speak it as well. I am always surprised at the standard of English in the country though they are very generous with me in my pathetic attempts at the Czech language.
in the main tourist areas English as well as other languages are spoken and menus and information will be in English,even in outlying areas English menus are usually available and staff always seem to know if you will require one.
Late October will be busy as Prague is a busy tourist city all year round but certainly that time of year things will be a great deal less manic.
18 is large group so you will have to book restaurants if you all want to eat together but also easy to arrange private tours and excursions with a group that size.

Posted by
4637 posts

It will be huge celebration - all over the Czech Republic, in Prague certainly the biggest. It will be very festive, you can expect crowds. I don't think it will be rowdy unless there will be a lot of British. Czechs are usually peaceful and handle their alcohol intake well.

Posted by
14500 posts

Historically, I would assume the crowds to pack in Wenceslas Square, just they did on 28. X. 1918, ( when you see the documentary film of that event) and that the digits affixed on the ground will be polished up for the momentous occasion of the 100th anniversary.