Please sign in to post.

How far ahead to book Airfare for April RS to Slovenia and Croatia

In a quandary about booking flights as Covid is once again on the rise. I am afraid my RS tour will be cancelled and I feel caught between booking airfare I cannot get refunded and waiting too long to book. Leaving from Seattle. Any thoughts?

Posted by
8645 posts

Hi, Kat!
You must be talking about the Best of the Adriatic Tour (I'm scheduled on this tour in Sept. 22)
First of all, you need to decide where you are traveling to and where you are returning from. Are you spending any additional days prior to the tour or any days after the tour?

I'm flying into Venice spending 3 days there and then taking a Go-Opti shuttle to Ljubjana for the tour start. At the end, I'm flying to Rome and then will return back to Seattle from there.

Would you be willing to accept an airline voucher instead of a full refund? For example, you could buy tickets today on British Airways and if you decided to cancel, they would provide you with full value vouchers. They also have generous change policies. I'm including a link to their policies here. https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/information/incident/coronavirus/flexible-booking

British Airways is currently having their Black Friday Sale. I priced a Seattle to Venice flight for a random date in April and could get a price for the outbound segment for $350 economy. That is an extremely reasonable price. You would want to play around with the multi-city option and price things out. Personally, I would consider booking now at that price if I knew what cities I wanted to fly into and out of and was willing to accept British Airways policies.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you! That is a great price. I am thinking of stopping in Munich to visit my family and spending a few days there. If not I thought about doing the Venice route and like your suggestion. I am quite fearful that the tour could be cancelled due to this new outbreak so Thinking now I will wait til January For tickets.. (Please NO!!!) Really eager to travel again.

Posted by
1311 posts

Air France also has extended their cancellation/refund options through June2022.
Read the fine print, but I feel confident booking a Spring trip with them.
It's a great tour, and I hope that it goes ahead as scheduled for you.

Posted by
8645 posts

Kat, would you go visit your family in Munich anyway, even if the tour was cancelled? I was thinking that this would make buying tickets a little less of a risk for you if you knew you were going to have a trip either way.

I have to be honest, April is a long way off in terms of Covid policies. I don't see RS Tours cancelling tours this far out and I'm not sure you will know anything more by January except you know you will be past the full deposit refund time if you choose to cancel.

Posted by
14 posts

I won’t cancel the trip, I have been waiting two years to travel. I won’t go to Germany except on the way to Slovenia Or return from Croatia as I have been several times. Guess it’s awaiting game for us all.

Posted by
1225 posts

I already bought ours for June 2022 (Best of Eastern Europe) because we were afraid the price would go up and it has. They are flexible enough that if RS were to cancel we can change the flights to somewhere else and I will put together a trip on my own. I figure by the time June gets closer things will have changed again so I'm not worrying about it too much right now.