Please sign in to post.

Health insurance

Hello,

I'm a US citizen planning on traveling to Prague. Because I'll be staying for a short time, I won't need a visa. I saw on the US state department website that all foreigners seeking entry into the Czech Republic must have proof of health insurance. Of course, I know that it is a good idea to have insurance while traveling, but are people entering the country typically asked to show proof of health insurance, or proof that they have sufficient finances for their trip? I know there have been previous threads addressing this question, but I was wondering whether things might have changed in light of the current situation in Europe.

Thanks!

Posted by
3391 posts

You don't have to show proof of insurance or finances...just show your passport when you arrive. Nothing has changed regarding US citizens.

Posted by
2622 posts

I have never been asked for proof of health insurance in any of my travels but I haven't been to the Czech Republic since 2013. I do, however, carry my proof of health insurance. I've never bothered to sit down and see what my Blue Cross plan might pay for emergency care in another country, but I figure having an insurance card with me can't hurt.

Posted by
20074 posts

If you are already elsewhere in the Schengen Treaty Zone, such as Germany, how do they know? There are no border check points. If you are on a train, you just continue to your destination. "Seeking entry" might be referring to long stay type visas like student or work visas.

Posted by
2639 posts

It is a requirement to have Health Insurance but I have never heard of people having to prove it, but please make sure you do have it.

Posted by
5697 posts

Entered Czech Republic yesterday via shuttle from Vienna -- not only did no one ask about insurance, the shuttle did not even slow down as the driver announced "Welcome to the Czech Republic!"

Posted by
356 posts

Sure why do we need border controls? Not only does your phone immediately ping when you cross the border, but most people then proceed to announce their plans on Facebook and photograph their breakfast on Istragram. Much more effective way of keeping tabs than stamping a passport!

Posted by
368 posts

I don't think they mean that you have to show proof to get in, but just have proof you have it. Probably so that if there is an accident your insurance will pay for your treatment. Having worked in employee benefits for over 35 years, I have found that most medical insurances will cover you for emergency or emergent medical problems while you are outside of the US. The one exception is Medicare and they don't pay for any services outside the US. If you have a supplement you may want to check it. Some won't pay for any expenses that are not covered by Medicare.

Carry your medical ID card with you and make sure that your travel partners know who to call and how to call your medical carrier. Some carriers will work with the local doctors and hospitals any pay them directly, some will have you pay upfront then reimburse you. In some cases people who are treated are never even billed for the services and the whole requirement of proof is moot.

But having had to arrange for emergency medical evacuation and treatment is several cases, know what you have and how to use it, and if it follows the norm you won't have to use it.

Posted by
14507 posts

What if you don't use a cell phone in Europe? I am not on Facebook either. Definitely the med card is on me, just as the US passport too.

Posted by
8047 posts

Most US plans pay for emergency care abroad. If you are on medicare your supplement plan almost certainly pays for it; ours covers emergency care for trips of 60 days or less. When we travel beyond that we get travel medical insurance (which is very expensive when you are old) You should also definitely have evacuation insurance. We have an annual policy from Medjet Assist that will fly us from a hospital abroad to the hospital near us; no idea how well it works as we hope never to need it. Policies like that age out around 75 or 80 though.

And no we were not asked for passports on entry to the CR much less to provide health insurance information.

Posted by
19092 posts

If you are on medicare your supplement plan almost certainly pays for
it.

Straight Medicare does not cover foreign emergencies. Some extra cost Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Plans do, but about half do not. I have an HMO plan, and it does not cover foreign emergencies.

Posted by
5697 posts

Medicare Supplement F (the most popular --and most expensive -- plan) covers foreign emergency medical expenses at 80% after a $250 deductible to a maximum of I believe $25,000. As noted above, check with your insurer to see what your actual coverage is before either getting more insurance OR assuming you are covered.