Please sign in to post.

Green Card Question

Hello there,my friends!
The thing is, I'm planing to go to Czech Rep. this summer. I'm meeting my friend there and we'll continue traveling along other European countries together.We're planing to visit France, Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Belgium, Italy and maybe some others. I live in USA, but I'm NOT American Citizen, I have Ukrainian passport instead. My family and I are permanent residents, indeed.
So the question is, what documents do I need to travel to countries listed above? Will my Green card and the fact that I lived in the States for 2 years help me to get the Visa without any struggle? Or will i be treated like any other Ukrainian, and as far as I know, it is pretty hard to get Schengen visa for Ukranian?

Thank You!

Posted by
507 posts


You may want to call these folks with the State Dept with your questions.

The National Passport Information Center

To speak to a customer service representative, please call between the hours of 8:00 am to 10:00 pm Eastern Time, Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays.

From the U.S. 1-877-487-2778
From the U.S. 1-888-874-7793 (TTY/TTD)
For life or death emergencies (after hours) 1-202-647-4000

Posted by
117 posts

My guess is that the green card won't help much, but I'm thinking you'll just have to do the research. Maybe start here:

We're Canadian citizens who've lived in the USA since 2003, and we have green cards. But when we traveled to Europe, the only document the Danish and UK officials wanted to see was our Canadian passports. Of course, as Canadians we aren't required to have a visa. So, it doesn't really compare favorably I realize.

Good luck.

Posted by
4637 posts

You will need your passport and visa for Schengen country. I think that your green card should be helpful to obtain visa.

Posted by
30932 posts

Your Green Card will be of little (no?) value during international travel. The only document that will be acceptable is your Ukrainian Passport, and your Visa requirements will be based on that. You may find it helpful to have a look at THIS website and enter each of the countries you plan to visit. THIS website may also be helpful.

One other important question is how long are you planning to travel in Europe? Tourist Visas in the Schengen area are usually for no more than 90 days in any 180 day period.

Posted by
8889 posts

Sorry, the fact that you have a US green card is irrelevant, you will be "treated like any other Ukrainian".
The first suggestion to contact the US passport authorities is incorrect, it is not them who will issue your visa.
As Ken says "Your Green Card will be of little (no?) value during international travel. The only document that will be acceptable is your Ukrainian Passport, and your Visa requirements will be based on that."

As you will be entering the Schengen area in the Czech Republic, it is the Czechs who will have to issue you with your visa. You need to contact your nearest Czech embassy or consulate to apply for a visa. A tourist visa is for for 90 days, it should not be too difficult to get one.

This is not a "Green Card Question", it is a "Schengen Visa Question*.

Posted by
507 posts

Chris F in Basel, Switzerland:

If the OP enters Europe via Netherlands (KLM) or France (CDG) where he goes through customs, wouldn't that be the country to which he would apply for a Schengen visa that would cover the Czech Republic? He does plan to visit France.

{Addition: The OP will need to present his green card & passport to US Customs officials upon re-entering the United States.)

Posted by
8889 posts

Colette, Yes, correct, You apply for your Schengen visa to the country where you enter the Schengen Area. But the visa is then valid for all Schengen countries. He does say he is "planing to go to Czech Rep".
But, I have seen at least one reference which said apply to the country you intend to spend the most time in. So I would advise asking the consulate of the country you will arrive in, but if you intend to spend more time in another country, be open and tell them that and see what they say.

Another warning, if bvelvetta intends to exit and re-enter the Schengen Area (e.g., a short visit to the UK, or to Ukraine), he would need a multi-entry visa.