Please sign in to post.

Going to Prague, Sept. 2016, What to see

We are going to be in Prague for about 2 1/2 days, the end of Sept. this year. What are the highlights we need to see there?

Thanks

Rick

Thanks again everyone. I did just get the RS Prague & Czech Republic. Can't wait.

Posted by
4637 posts

The best information about your question is in Rick Steves book: Prague & the Czech Republic.

Posted by
8063 posts

Besides the castle and monastery and town square and Jewish quarter, a must see for us was the Mucha Slav Epic in the National Gallery Velatrizni Palace. Really stunning exhibition.

Posted by
356 posts

The Czech National Theatre's season begins in September, so I always recommend that you take in an opera or ballet during your time in Prague. Also, they often have a 30% start of season sale so make sure to keep an eye on the Narodni Divadlo website.

Marcus

Posted by
5836 posts

Yes, get the RS guide book.

Rick's highlight list: https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/czech-republic/prague

My favorites from Rick's list:

In the Old Town
▲▲▲ Old Town Square Magical main square of Old World Prague, with dozens of colorful facades, the dramatic Jan Hus Memorial, looming Týn Church, and fanciful Astronomical Clock.

Look for vendors on the square making and selling Trdelník, a rolled grilled pastry. http://goeasteurope.about.com/od/foodsandsouvenirs/ss/Trdelnik-Rolled-Pastries-In-Prague-And-Slovakia.htm

▲▲▲ Charles Bridge An atmospheric, statue-lined bridge that connects the Old Town to the Little Quarter and Prague Castle.
▲▲▲ Jewish Quarter The...evocative cemetery.

*In the New Town
▲▲ Mucha Museum Easy-to-appreciate collection of Art Nouveau works by Czech artist Alfons Mucha.

In the Castle Quarter
▲▲▲ St. Vitus Cathedral The Czech Republic’s most important church, featuring a climbable tower and a striking stained-glass window by Art Nouveau artist Alfons Mucha.
▲▲ Prague Castle Traditional seat of Czech rulers, with St. Vitus Cathedral, Old Royal Palace, Basilica of St. George, shop-lined Golden Lane, and lots of crowds.*

Posted by
533 posts

i know of another highlight, but its not in Ricks book. It would be meeting Unclegus. Having a beer. In a Pub.

Posted by
533 posts

Ok, to add something useful to the conversation, I would suggest Edgars list above, plus an inexpensive hour long chamber concert at one of the churches or Lobkowicz Palace ( https://www.pragueexperience.com/opera-concerts/concert-halls.asp), checking out the art nouveau Municipal House (including the traditional Plzenska Restaurant on the lower level), and just simply stroll around and enjoy the architecture between the old town and Prague Castle.

Posted by
2639 posts

well Peter that is a good suggestion,I am in Prague at the moment and have already done a few pubs.Today I am visiting Pruhonice Park,a bit out of the way for a first time visitor especially with limited time but later on today I am doing a private tour of the hidden secrets of the Old Town.It is run by Jason of the Living Prague website and is a fairly new adventure for him and I am going along with a few friends to see wht it is like,we wil then be going for beer aftewards.
I would suggest Rick that you look at the Living Prague website and Prague. net website for some great ideas.

Posted by
356 posts

Peter,

That website you posted is a good reference, but I would like to stress the importance of booking directly from the cultural institution i.e. Narodni Divadlo, Czech Philharmonic, as by booking directly you avoid the reseller's mark-up (up to 80%) and the booking fee.

Marcus

Posted by
533 posts

Thanks Marcus. We attended chamber concerts at Lobkowicz, Klementinum and St Nicholas church in the old town (almost ended up at St Nicholas at Malostranske namesti in error) in January this year and had no idea we could book directly. Didn't even think about it, but thanks, we will remember that for next time.

We stayed for 10 days at the old Conductors apartment on the top floor of the Municipal House which we reserved through AirBnB. The apartment owner has pulled his listing from AirBnB and is using it as his office now, but boy, was that ever a sweet find. The view to the west over Tyn Church and the old town was superb. And then it snowed, and the view was even superb-er (??!!)

If I could, I would sell out and move to Prague in a heartbeat, but then, I haven't been to Budapest yet, and I understand that is a strong contender against Prague, so we will see!! (I secretly surf the Prague real estate listings once or twice a month, but shhh, don't tell my wife).

Peter