Please sign in to post.

Flight from US to Prague - Condor Airlines?

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Prague for late May, and are looking to buy plane tickets ASAP since we're now about 2 months out. I stumbled upon some really cheap flights from Condor that almost seem to be too good to be true so I wanted to ask around before booking. Additionally, they offer service from Denver (where we're located), so would own the entire flight from Denver > Seattle, Seattle>Frankfurt, and then Frankfurt>Prague.

In addition to costing significantly more, the alternative airlines that we've looked at don't offer service from Denver, so we'd first need to take a separate airline to a different US city that then offers service to Prague, which would involve grabbing our checked luggage, going back through security, etc. It's a hassle that we're willing to put up with and considered to be inevitable, but it looks like that may not be the case if we travel Condor.

Like I said, it almost seems too good to be true to I'm skeptical. Does anybody have any experience flying Condor from the US to Prague, or can you offer any advice on this topic in general?

Thanks

Posted by
2613 posts

I've flown Condor quite a few times and like them just fine. I usually upgrade to Premium Economy, which is much nicer and does not cost that much more. While you are buying a ticket from Condor, your actual flights will be Alaska from Denver to Seattle, Condor to Frankfurt and then Lufthansa to Prague. Condor will sell you one ticket, but these are the actual carriers.

However, looking on Kayak, just for pricing, I see that Delta has a single stop option through JFK that's about $1400 per person. I don't know your exact travel dates, but I would opt for the single stop over the two stop flights. You'll be less exhausted when you get there and it's way less layover time.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the reply. Great info.

Yes, I may have misspoke - those are the correct carriers but all can be booked through the Condor website, so I assumed that they owned the entire flight and that they were partnership airlines of some sort. Am I correct in assuming that Condor would transfer our bags in this instance or would we need to grab our luggage in Frankfurt and check back in?

Will check the Delta flight, too. Thanks again!

Posted by
2613 posts

They're partners - you'd have one ticket all the way through. We've done this before with them - they were late and we missed our flight in Frankfurt on Lufthansa. We had to go to the Lufthansa desk with our Condor tickets and Lufthansa rebooked us on the spot.

As much as I like Condor, though, the price looked only slightly less expensive than Delta through JFK or British through London. Plug your travel dates into Kayak and see what you get. Don't buy from Kayak, though. Buy directly from the airline website.

Posted by
2613 posts

One other note about Condor that I've discovered through trial and error - it's counterintuitive but it usually prices out: I pay less with them when I buy two one way tickets than a round trip ticket. I did this a few weeks ago for a Seattle to Frankfurt trip in January. I paid $1100 TOTAL for Premium Economy for my two one-way tickets. It would have been about $300 more to buy the trip as a single roundtrip in Premium Economy.

Posted by
356 posts

Good morning nshern,

Have you tried Google Flights? It's a new search feature that Google brought out last year. It is incredibly clever and will give you the full range of prices for your search query, as well as suggesting how you can get the best deal by adjusting the date of your flight or flying into a nearby airport. It cuts down on hours of searching using Kayak or Skyscanner.

I hope that this helps.

Marcus

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks again for the replies!

We actually checked Google Flights before Kayak, and I'm finding that Kayak is reporting much better deals than Google Flights. Google Flights for example doesn't appear to be picking up the Condor flights. I may have to play around with a bit more.

We are actually looking to purchase two one way tickets as well - one from a US city to Prague, and the return will be from Amsterdam back to the US.

Good to know that Condor is a legit airline that people have used and enjoyed. I'll dig into the other flights that Kayak is showing as well.

Thanks!

Posted by
11294 posts

"We are actually looking to purchase two one way tickets as well - one from a US city to Prague, and the return will be from Amsterdam back to the US. "

For this itinerary, be sure to check prices for "multi city" or "multiple destinations" on one ticket, as well as checking two one-way tickets. For non-budget carriers, it's usually much cheaper as a multi city itinerary on one ticket.

Also, if you change planes in the US on your way to Europe and are all on one ticket, you don't have to touch your checked luggage at your connecting airport(s). It's checked through to your final destination. However, on returning to the US, you ALWAYS have to go through passport control and customs at your first US airport, regardless of your final destination or your airline. So, if your first US stop is not Denver, you will have to go through immigration, then pick up your checked luggage, then go through customs, then drop your luggage at the baggage recheck (usually just outside the customs door), then go through security to get to your next flight.

Posted by
95 posts

Just a note on using google flights to look up ticket prices, I've done this a lot but they do not have every airline available. Discount airlines generally don't show up on their search, only major airlines. But it can be nice to compare the price you got on your ticket to what the average ticket costs and pat yourself on the back at finding such a good deal!