Please sign in to post.

early thoughts on Christmas Market trip incl Berlin, Nurnberg, Prague

Hello Everyone,
We will be traveling with our 20/22 year old daughters during their Christmas breaks this year. We have 12 or more days. Here are my early thoughts but open to suggestions.
- Fly into Berlin. Spend 3-4 days here. Markets, museums, clubs (for the 20 year olds), history.
- Train to Nurnberg: Spend 2-3 days here. Huge Christmas market, WW2 history.
- Fly or train to Prague: spend final 3-4 days here and fly home from here.
In the past we have always driven ourselves, but with the winter weather, may not want to drive. If we do drive, might change the order and drive Berlin to Prague so we could make a stop in Dresden.
We have been to Bavaria/Munich/Romantic Road/Mosel and Rhine river valley so not seeking to return south. There are so many places I'd love to see, but trying to keep this short and focused. However, if there is a really MUST SEE place that I am missing, let me know. All comments welcome.

Posted by
933 posts

We've taken TWO Xmas Market River Cruises, one on the Danube & one on the Rhine - we are returning this December for a 3rd -we LOVE the Markets. Lots of people will steer you away from Nurnberg because of it's size, but it still remains one of our favorites - the church that it surrounds is GORGEOUS. It is HUGE, but we LOVE it (plus, the BEST ORGANIC sausages we've ever had - and they are famous for GINGERBREAD!!) There is a great hotel, across from the Train Station, easy to walk to the market - PM me if interested. The Documentation Center is also fantastic. The OLD TOWN of Nurnberg is one of my favorite European places. Don't miss the CRAFTSMAN area across from the train station on the way to the market.

Regensburg also has a great public market and THE BEST PRIVATE MARKET EVER - it still remains our favorite market we've ever experienced. Thurn and Taxis Palace - you buy a ticket to this incredible palace & get access to an incredible Xmas Market.

We also love Passau, Vienna, Saltzburg. Do a SEARCH here on RS for Bavarian/German Christmas Markets and you will find tons of great info and train ideas.

And it's NOT to early at all. Hotels with easy access to the markets fill VERY fast. We've already booked ours for December as we stay another 10days post River Cruise.

We never drive, the train system is too easy.

Posted by
1435 posts

Between Berlin and Nurnberg you might consider a night in Erfurt. It's very charming and has a nice Christmas market.

Posted by
11294 posts

Be aware that most of the Christmas markets close 1-2 days before December 25. Depending on when your daughters get their Christmas break, you may have to rearrange your trip to avoid missing the markets.

Posted by
2639 posts

The Christmas markets in Prague were on till a few days after new year,some in the areas away from the city centre closed just before Christmas. Though very nice and for me fine for an hour or so I find them all far too busy and repetitive for my enjoyment.

Posted by
316 posts

thanks everyone. We plan to arrive 12/15 and stay 12+ days. Will end in Prague based on market recommendations. Chinalake67, I would love any specific recommendations you have. We may try to VRBO apartments instead of hotels since my oldest daughter has celiac and being gluten free in Germany may be difficult with so many battered and fried items. We figured we could cook on our own that way.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!
K