Please sign in to post.

Driving from Berlin to Prague

We are planning a trip in September and thinking of driving from Berlin to Prague with a short stop in Gablenz to see the Devil's Bridge. Has anyone driven this and how difficult is driving in the Czech Republic.

Posted by
50 posts

It's been years since we made that drive from Berlin to Prague but the highways were good and it should have been easy. Of course, I somehow ended up in Poland but that's just me and my horrific navigational skills. If you can remember highway numbers more than 3 seconds (unlike me) or you have a GPS, you'll be fine.

Finding our hotel in the middle of Prague was a little confusing, but again a GPS would simplify the search or you may find a very sweet elderly Czech gentleman to guide you to it as we did. We went on to Cesky Krumlov and again the highways were easy, so easy that even I didn't get lost this time.

I wonder if the friendly ladies are still waving at cars just on the Czech side of the German/Czech border? We had to explain that welcome to our then-14 year-old daughter.

Have fun!

Posted by
20085 posts

Be sure to get a Czech vignette at the border.

Posted by
868 posts

Not difficult at all, apart from Prague, where you don't need a car.
But the Rhododendron Park is really not that big, and actually the least interesting park in the region. This park in Kromlau (a part of Gablenz) was influenced by two other parks, which were created by Count Pückler. I highly recommend to visit Muskau Park too, which is just a few minutes away and a World Heritage Site. The castle there is very picturesque, and you can cross the border to Poland, since 2/3 of the park are on Polish soil since 1945.

But it's a shame that you don't have more time. You cross a very beautiful region, and IMHO at least a short stop in Görlitz, the town with the most listed buildings in Germany, is a must.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks you all and Martin we are still doing research and might just stay a little longer. Kevin

Posted by
868 posts

Thanks you all and Martin we are still doing research and might just
stay a little longer.

You will cross the following sites:

Spreewald +++
Park Branitz +
Rhododendron Park +
Muskau Park ++
Görlitz +++ or Bautzen ++
Zittau Mountains + / Oybin Castle and Monastery ++
Sychrov castle +
Bohemian Paradise + / Kost castle ++

Posted by
1 posts

The friendly ladies are largely gone as the local government cracked down on them starting a few years ago. Also a new highway bypasses those border towns, so you won’t encounter any ladies if you stick to the main roads.