Please sign in to post.

driver's license

Heading to the Czech Republic in a couple weeks. We are using public transit and a few small tours. Would it be wise to bring a driver's license even though we don't plan to do any driving? Or should it be left at home?

Posted by
797 posts

You can take your drivers license with you as a secondary piece of identification but just a drivers license is not enough if you decide you want to do any driving in the Czech Republic. You need your license and and IDP.

Posted by
21 posts

Yes, but if the passport is lost or stolen, what good is a driver's license? We don't plan to drive at all and want to limit risk of losses.

Posted by
23267 posts

The driver's license is not related to a passport. It is a government issue id and could be very helpful if you passport is lost. I would take it. Sometimes you need to leave an id to rent head phones in a museum or elsewhere. Rather leave the DL and not the passport.

Posted by
5697 posts

Agree, if you need to leave ID when renting a museum audioguide, for instance, a license is better than a passport -- if you forget to pick up your license, you get a new one when you return home but a missing passport can put a severe cramp in your vacation. It's light, easy to carry.

Posted by
32746 posts

How will you get from home to your fly out airport and back home at the end?

If you don't need it don't take it.

Posted by
11294 posts

If you rent an audioguide, you are usually asked to leave an ID. I'd much rather leave my driver's license than my passport or a credit card. That's the only use for my driver's license when I go to Europe, but it's an important one - so I always take it.

While you're looking through your wallet, do be sure to remove things that definitely can't be used on the trip - library cards, local store discount cards, etc.