Please sign in to post.

Dining in Prague

My husband and I are taking a River Cruise through the Danube but will begin in Prague. We are on our own for 3 days and wondering if any of you have good restaurant recommendations. We would love to go to a local restaurant with Czech cuisine but have no problem in case there are other really good ones you all can recommend.

Thanks,

Fran

Posted by
782 posts

If you like beer,Pilsner Urquell has a restaurant near the river which is very good.
Mike

Posted by
2639 posts

where are you staying ,I may be able to suggest a few places withing walking distance, the suggestion of Lokal is good , they have a few places throughout the city and Pilsner Urquell resturants abound in the city I use the Kulatak one in Dejvice quite often as I stay nearby when in Prague
http://www.restauracebredovskydvur.cz/restaurace/en
This place was were I had my best meal of my last trip to Prague (2 weeks ago), in the same street as the Mucha museum and not far from Wenseslas square,great venison in a lovely rich sauce with potato rosti.they also do tankova Pilsner Urquell.staff speak good English and the whole range of food as well as the restaurant is very typical czech.

Posted by
356 posts

Good afternoon Fran,

A word of warning regarding Czech food - if you like fresh vegetables and salads, then you will not like Czech food. Fresh vegetables are an alien concept to the Czech diet, and salads are a thing unknown. If however, you like dumplings, heavy sauces, sauerkraut and lumps of pork, then traditional Czech fare is for you. The redeeming feature of Czech food is the beer, which is uniformly delicious.

These places offer good traditional Czech fare, in which you'll find locals and Prague residents alike: Klasterni Senk in the Brevnov Monastery, Restaurace V Cipu in the New Town, U Sadu just under the TV Tower in Zizkov and Restaurace Sokolovna in Vinohrady.

I hope that this helps.

Marcus

Posted by
398 posts

As a general recommendation, look for the "Denni Menu" at restaurants, which is the menu of the day. You can often find really great deals on classic Czech dishes. And avoid the restaurants right on the Old Town Square - though a great setting, they are really overpriced and the food was not recommended by locals (or Rick for that matter).

We ate at Restaurace V Cipu II (the one on Michalska, just a little bit away from the Old Town Square, there is another one in the new quarter). The food was excellent, traditional Czech. And like a lot of places in Prague, it was very inexpensive - we each had a couple of drinks, shared an app, had our own entrees, and the check was less than $30 USD, maybe even $25.

We also really liked the Klasterni Pivovar, right across from the Strahov Monastery, in the Castle Quarter. Make sure you go to the Pivovar, not the Restaurace (which is more touristy). The pivovar is a brewpub, with excellent beers, great food, and a nice patio.

We too ate at Lokal, which was very good. A bit trendier and a bit more expensive, but still great Czech cuisine, and it's Prague, the prices are cheap.

Definitely try to grab a beer at U Zlateho Tygra, if you can find a place to sit. It's a traditional Czech pub, only one kind of beer on tap (Pilsner Urquell), filled with smoke, but it is such an authentic, awesome atmosphere. I'm quite certain we were the only ones who didn't speak Czech in there. They just keep bringing you beers until you say you don't want anymore. Pres. Havel brought Pres. Clinton here when he visited Prague in the 90s. We didn't try the food.

Posted by
2639 posts

I was in Klasterni Senk a few weeks ago had their lamb shank which was delicious ,it is an excellent place, wish I could post the video I took there,been there a few times over the years and the foods is always excellent but their beer is even better.
Klasterini Pivovar was another place I had a meal ,had the rabbit there and it was the second best meal of my trip, the venison in Bredovsky Dvur being no 1 and Klasterini Senk being no 3 , but there was not a lot in it.the beer there is on the more expensive side but very good
I agree a bit with Marcus about the food but I do find now that many places are tidying up their food , better presentation and lighter sauces, some are even adding herbs to their dumplings.There is still a lack of fresh veg with meals and when I am with folk for a meal we normally order a salad or two just to help break up the heavier food.
Pivovar Narondi and Vinohradsky pivovar are two of the newer micro-breweries doing food in a lighter bistro style and very tasty it is too but again short on the vegetables.

Posted by
3391 posts

We ate at Slavia Kavarna several times last summer. It's right along the river and has good, traditional Czech food. Great art deco atmosphere that hasn't changed since the 30s.
The restaurant out on the deck on the river behind the Modern Art Museum is a lovely place to watch the boats and see the old city on the other side of the river.
Another nice spot on the river is Grosseto Marina - it's built from a converted barge and has huge windows right across the river from Castle Hill. Amazing views especially at night. You can eat on their river deck or inside.