Please sign in to post.

Currency

My wife and I will be traveling to Prague in a couple of months and was wondering if the Euro is commonly used in the Czech Republic?

Posted by
2637 posts

No Euros are not commonly accepted in the CR.There will be some places that will accept euros but at a silly exchange rate that will not be to your benefit. Please use Czech Crowns , easy to get from ATM's.

Posted by
20026 posts

The best way to go is get Czech Koruna out of the ATM. When in another country, it is almost always to best to use the local currency. Cuts down on confusion. How much does that cost in euro? in USD? The price is shown in the local currency. Even if they will take euros, they give change in CZK, and you will get dinged on the exchange rate. At 27 CZK = 1 euro, it is bound to get complicated.

Posted by
356 posts

You will need Czech Koruna, for the reasons mentioned in the previous posts.

If you a traveling with a large amount of cash in either Euro or USD, it may make more sense to simply exchange some cash to Koruna in Prague. If you choose to do this, go to one of the exchange of offices on Panska Street. There are five offices on this street who compete against each other and offer the best rates in Prague. These offices are used by businesses (and I use them myself) as they provide far better rates than any of the banks or ATMs.

Posted by
5835 posts

Tourist currency exchange kiosks in Prague will exchange EUR for CZK at a wide bid-ask spread.

Posted by
19092 posts

"they provide far better rates than any of the banks or ATMs"

They probably provide better rates then exchanging cash at a bank, but I seriously doubt that they can beat getting cash at an ATM. People who know what they are doing pay 0% -1% over the Interbank rate (those that don't pay 2% - 5%). Unless they are selling Kc at a loss (below the Interbank rate) to get euro.

Posted by
19092 posts

When I was in Prague in 2012, the train station showed the ticket prices in Czech Koruna and in euro, but I remembered that, before the change to the euro, stores in Germany used to display the price in both Mark and euro, but there were no euro to use as cash. They just wanted people to get used to thinking in euro. The Mark had already been fixed to the euro, so you could write checks in euro.

Actually, I was very cognizant of the exchange rate, Kc to euro, at the time, and the prices posted at the station were a bargain in euro. I considered trying to buy the ticket in euro, but I had Koruna to get rid of, so I didn't try.

Posted by
86 posts

One quick note: I've been living in Prague for 18 months and always use ATMs to get cash from my US account, which works great. The only time I have ever used a currency exchange is to change koruna to euros. (We do have a Czech bank account, but we never use it.) However, you should know that most ATMs in Prague will offer you the choice of cash with conversion or without conversion. You should ALWAYS choose "without conversion," because that will give you the bank rate--which is a much better rate. Right now the bank exchange rate is about 24-25 koruna to the dollar, but the "with conversion" rate offered at ATMs is more like 20-22. Hope this helps!

Posted by
19092 posts

The ATM conversion you are talking about is called "dynamic conversion" and is well documented on the forum as a bad deal.