Please sign in to post.

currency

we will be in Prague and surrounding area in Nov/Dec. can we use Euros or their currency..what do you advise

Posted by
5835 posts

Czech Krona. Merchants that accept Euros would charge you a premium in Euros.

Posted by
11294 posts

Can you use euros? Sometimes. It's similar to using US dollars in Canada. But, just like in that situation:

1) No one is obligated to accept euros - it's at their option. I further encountered places that would accept euro bills, but not euro coins.
2) They exchange rate at which they accept euros is up to them to set. It may be close to fair, or may be a total rip-off.
3) Any change you get will be in Czech koruni.

So, unless you're just passing through, definitely get Czech koruni from ATM's, or use your credit card and make sure the charge is processed in koruni rather than any other currency.

Posted by
2602 posts

Unclegus, you win, hand down. That is the best response ever to age-old "what currency should I use in _____?"

Posted by
4637 posts

Actually in some businesses in C.R. you can use Euro but always to your disadvantage. Smart people use Czech koruna (crown).

Posted by
14509 posts

If an establishment in the CR allows me to pay in Euro and I do that, I am not going to quibble over the change since they accepted my Euro in the place.

Posted by
11294 posts

Fred: I never said you, or anyone else, would or should quibble over this. But I've seen people who weren't prepared get very irate.

And yes, using euros in Prague isn't like trying to use euros in Canada; it's like trying to use US dollars in Canada. Sometimes they will "work," but it's not the best way to go, for all the reasons stated above.

Posted by
14509 posts

@ Harold...Maybe "quibble" is inexact, what I mean is that after paying in Euro in an amount closest to Czech Krone, I would not be concerned about the change since they allowed me the luxury of paying in Euro, eg, if the amount were 8.50 Krone, and I handed over a ten Euro bill, let alone nine Euro in coins. I am not concerned about the change.

Posted by
1 posts

when you withdraw money from an ATM in Prague .... I imagine you receive crowns not euros -- is this correct? thanks

Posted by
14509 posts

Yes, in using the ATM in Prague, you will receive Czech currency, not Euro.

Posted by
7558 posts

Maybe not so much anymore, but it might not be unusual for a smaller B&B or some hotels to quote a cash price in euros and expect payment in euros, in that case, using euros is fine if you are agreeable to the price. But for everything else, use local currency.