Please sign in to post.

Credit cards in Prague

Hello all,

I'll be traveling to Prague in June and wanted to know if anyone has recently used a chip and signature card there with success.

I have a Barclaycard that has worked well at unmanned kiosks in other countries, but is a chip and signature when there is a live person helping me to pay.

Thank you.

Posted by
5687 posts

Not in Czech Republic recently, but I have used chip and signature cards in Europe successfully in several countries in the last few years (I also have a chip and PIN card as a backup, but it has not much of a rewards program, so I prefer my chip and signature card). In some countries (e.g. Russia, Baltic states in 2016), my chip and sig card worked even in machines, without a PIN. I have needed the chip and PIN card most often in France, Italy, and the Netherlands at machines to buy train tickets.

Posted by
6788 posts

Yes, I was there end of last September, we used multiple credit cards (for lots of things) and had no trouble.

Only issue was at a small chain Vietnamese Pho place that slipped in an unauthorized dynamic currency conversion scam on me (I paid using a credit card with no foreign transaction fees). I called out the restaurant staff for it, they pled ignorance. It was pocket change, but it still annoyed me as it was completely dishonest (after paying by credit card, the receipt printed out and claimed I had explicitly accepted the "convenience" of utilizing their currency conversion, which I had certainly not).

Anyway, I'd have no worries about using credit cards. Of course, as anywhere, be sure you have multiple options (more than one credit card, debit cards for getting cash at ATMs).

Posted by
407 posts

I can't think of anywhere in the city that does Chip and Signature. Years ago I used this in conjunction with my passport but not lately. Chip and PIN for most stuff or Tap and Pay which needs a PIN if you buy something to the value of more than CZK500. If you are using your card to withdraw cash then avoid "Euronet" ATMs which have a lousy conversion rate. Raiffeisen Bank ATMs are fine and you can generally choose what denomination of banknotes you get so no trying to break a big note etc.

Posted by
565 posts

We used a Chip and Signature Capital One card last month in several restaurants with no problem. Also purchased transit passes from a kiosk in the train station.

Posted by
14507 posts

Last May/June I used the chip and signature credit card with no problems in Germany, London, Poland (one time as a day trip from Berlin), France, and Austria. I would assume Prague is no different.

Posted by
238 posts

Kathryn

You mentioned that you used chip and signature cards at several restaurants - was this the norm or the exception, just out of curiousity?

Posted by
565 posts

Herfnerd, not sure I understand your question. We had some Czech crown cash, but opted to pay with credit cards in the restaurants. We have a chip and signature Capital One card that we used. The last night we paid in cash to use up our remaining Czech crowns before we flew out the next morning. Hope this answers your question.

Posted by
238 posts

Katheryne - sorry, hadn't had my second cup of coffee yet, lol!

Let me try it this way - I'm assuming that you used CZK's to pay for most things but your Cap One CC at restaurants? Just wondering if you had any issues with paying with a CC anywhere in town......

Posted by
565 posts

Herfnerd, got it. Yes, upon arrival at the train station we got about $300 in Czech crowns which we used for admissions, snacks, etc. We used the Cap One card in 5-6 restaurants with no problems and bought a tram pass with it in a kiosk at the train station.

Posted by
1152 posts

We were there a few months ago and had no trouble with a Capital One card. This card also let us use it as a touch to pay card. We used that several times at a grocery store.