Please sign in to post.

Christmas Markets 2024 in 5 countries

Hello

We plan for total 26 days (including flying to and from) to Central Europe for Christmas Markets.

Fly from San Francisco to Prague then fly out from Munich or Frankfurt to San Franciso
Here is our itinerary for 2 adults (travel light style)

Prague 12/2-12/8 (6 days);
Budapest 12/9-12/12 (4 days);
Vienna 12/13-12/16 (4 days);
Zurich 12/17-12/20 (4 days);
Munich 12/21-12/27 (6 days);

All of the above cities are base stayed and will do day trip to surrounding Christmas markets by train. Train/bus will be our main transportation to either region Christmas markets or from/to country.

Any good advice?

Many thanks,
KT

Posted by
17923 posts

Sounds like fun. I like your order too. Makes good sense.
I get the 1 extra day in Prague for jetlag, but out of Prague, Vienna and Budapest its the smallest to see so maybe you have grand plans for the second extra day. And I am guessing something similar in Munich as well as there are other larger stops with less time.
I suspect you will have a blast.

Posted by
193 posts

Hi Naryet,
My wife, adult daughter and I did a similarly themed trip this past December, from 12/9 to 12/30. Our route was Bruges-Strasbourg-Munich-Salzburg-Budapest-Vienna-Cesky Krumlov-Prague, so much of of your trip in reverse. We also daytripped to Nuremberg from Munich. We spent Christmas Day in Vienna, so the last two stops (in Czech) were post Christmas. All of our travel was by train except for the link from Vienna to Cesky, for which we used the minivan service of CKShuttle (because it was Dec 26 and regular train service was altered). I like that you you have relatively long stays in all places. That was my plan originally, but when we thought about doing a day trip from Munich to Salzburg, and another from Prague to Cesky, I came to the conclusion that it would be better to do one night stops in those two places than to visit them for the day and then a day or two later pass right through them on the way to our next destination. I’m glad we made that compromise. Salzburg turned out to be our favourite Christmas market town and it was nice to be there for the evening without having to catch a train back to Munich. In fact, we would have loved to have two nights there, but we made excellent use of our 24 hours. One night was enough in Cesky (the market was still going on the 27th), and we caught an early afternoon train directly to Prague, so we essentially had two half days there too. I guess my point is that you should seriously weigh the pros and cons of daytripping to a place which is on your route versus doing a one night stand at that place. (I should add that we are all light, efficient travellers who don’t subscribe to the belief that it takes a half day to check out of one place, and another half day to check into the next.) The other point I would make is to include Salzburg, either as a stop or a day trip, if it is not already in your plans. Whether it’s good or not, that’s my advice.

Posted by
55 posts

Switzerland's Christmas Markets are not nearly as good as Germany and Austria. We saw the Zurich markets last year in one day. Loved the markets in Munich and Salzburg so much (we went 3 years ago) that we are going back again. Personally, I would visit Salzburg rather than Zurich (and I adore Switzerland...just not their Christmas Markets).