Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Prague 2016

My sister and I will be spending the 23rd-25th in Prague this upcoming December. We are college students so we are on a tighter budget but would still like to have a nice Christmas since we will be away from the rest of our family. Any recommendations for restaurants that would give us a traditional Czech Christmas meal, free or cheap concerts, churches for Mass, and cheaper but cozy accommodations would be greatly appreciated!

Also if anyone has information about how much flights cost from Prague to Edinburgh that would be great!

Posted by
350 posts

I stayed at the downtown hostel in Prague I would not say it was cozy but it was nice had lots of activities. Two nights they had a dinner anyon could join one night Italian and the other what I would call a traditional North American holiday dinner. Mashed potatoes string beans chicken ham ... They may have some sort of dinner on Christmas it was free.

Posted by
4637 posts

Traditional Christmas dinner is eaten on Dec.24th evening (Christmas Eve). I would say all restaurants serving Czech cuisine will serve it. (Those which are open). It is fried carp with potato salad. Don't let your prejudice against carp avoid it. The carp is south bohemian carp from their ponds. It is much better than asian carp you can get here. Few years ago when I was there for Christmas I stayed at hotel Antic. Cozy hotel close to Old Town Square where is the biggest Christmas market in Prague. Price was reasonable; room is small. Many churches will have Mass, concerts are all over, I was for one in Spanish synagogue in the Old Town. About Mass and concerts inquire in Visitor Center. You can buy tickets for concerts there, too.
I don't remember exact price from Prague to Edinburgh but I know it was under hundred dollars when I flew it.

Posted by
356 posts

EasyJet fly direct from Edinburgh to Prague, but bear in mind that many airlines do not fly on 25 December. EasyJet are currently offering a flight from PRG to EDI on 27 December for 1904czk.

I recommend that you sign up for the EasyJet mailing list. They frequently have sales, and they will email you once the flights are on offer. The same goes for any airline; if you want the deals, join the mailing list.

Posted by
7 posts

Great thanks everyone! It looks like Hotel Antik is already sold out for those dates :( so if anyone else had hotel recommendations that would be helpful as well!