Please sign in to post.

Christmas 2017 Suggestions for Czech Republic?

'm looking ahead to our first Christmas in Europe in 2017. We'd like to visit Christmas markets and historic places, as well as attend cultural events. What would you recommend us experiencing in Prague? In addition to Prague do you have any recommendations for other towns or cities to consider? We will travel by train. I'd also be interested in suggested routes and places to stay in those areas. Thanks so much!

Posted by
2487 posts

You'll probably like Olomouc, some two hours by train from Prague. Medium-sized provincial city. Very historical. I once stayed in the Hotel Palac, halfway between the railway station and the city centre, of which I have no clear memories, so it must have been okay without being special.

Posted by
4637 posts

Brno, second largest city in C.R. Nice Christmas markets there, too. If you prefer small town I recommend Cesky Krumlov - fairy-tale magic town, absolute eye candy.

Posted by
279 posts

My wife and I visited Prague prior to Christmas 2015. We quite enjoyed our visit. We especially enjoyed the opportunities for music. But Christmas is a high season in Prague and there are a lot of tourists. The Christmas Markets were tacky and touristy. We were not impressed with them.

From Prague we took the train to Budapest where we spent Christmas. The Christmas markets in Budapest were great. The shoppers and buyers included both the locals and tourists. This was our second trip to Budapest and we would go back again!

Posted by
2 posts

I lived in Prague through the holidays, and the Christmas markets are really fun! Try the trdelnik (spit-roasted dough with cinnamon sugar) and svarak (hot mulled wine). The markets in Old Town Square and by the castle are the biggest and most touristy-feeling, but if you go farther afield to Namesti Miru or even Namesti Republiky there are more handcrafts and you get a more "authentic" experience.

St. Nicholas day in early December is definitely memorable: St. Nicholas and an angel walk through the city accompanied by Krampus, the dreaded demon who terrorizes children. It's like Halloween and Christmas in one holdiay.

When my parents came to visit we stayed in Old Town and spent the week before Christmas in Prague, then took the train to Vienna for Christmas week. The Viennese Christmas markets are better, in my opinion. Overwhelmingly more handcrafts and artisans, less mass-produced tourist trinkets (plus the Gluhwein is sweeter and is served in cute souvenir mugs).

Have a good trip!