Please sign in to post.

Backpack Recommendation

Just booked our trip to Czech Republic late September/early October. Now I just need to start driving it into my spouses mind that packing light is packing right! My goal is for us each to have a carry-on backpack and one messenger style day bag, no checked bag, no suitcase. I'm looking for backpack recommendations, especially ones on the less expensive side. Is it possible to get a great one for under $100? Thank you in advance! Happy travels.

Posted by
1077 posts

The Rick Steves backpacks in the travel shop are inexpensive and last for years. I use a Pacsafe Venturesafe EXP 45L because of the security features and it's the perfect size for my travels. Just make sure that the pack conforms to 22"x14"x9" in order to meet airline regulations and even then you have to be careful as some of the low budget European airlines have even smaller requirements for size and weight.

Have a great trip! Your going to love Prague!

Posted by
1194 posts

To be blunt - you won’t get a great one for under $100. You’ll only get an OK one. There are a lot more under the $150 price range. I’d suggest raising your limit to get a significantly better pick.

Under $100

• Timbuk2 Jetpack
  • Timbuk2 Wingman
  • Litegear Pack
  • Rick Steves bag (fairly decent)

Under $150

• eBags Motherload weekender
  • MEI Voyageur (great bag - full backpack suspension - I love mine)
  • Osprey Farpoint
  • Osprey Fairview 40

https://snarkynomad.com/5-of-the-best-travel-backpacks-for-global-adventures/

I’ll end by saying this: You should never skimp on some travel items. This is a not a price issue as much as a quality issue. A poor quality item can ruin your trip. These items are:

• decent luggage
  • good broken in walking shoes
  • a packable waterproof rain jacket
Posted by
3 posts

Thank you so much! We're flying United to and from, so those dimensions will be acceptable. Yeah, I don't mind spending a little more, I'm just trying to avoid spending $300x2, lol. Thank you for the links.

Posted by
597 posts

Years ago I bought the ebags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible. It was on sale back then, had the same features as RS, good quality, offered more colors and back then a better warranty. You can pack a lot into it which is a plus and a minus. Last trip I packed almost 22 pounds into it which can get heavy at times. It's on sale now for less than $100 with their promo code. Have fun.

Posted by
8421 posts

I have the RS Classic backpack and been using it for about 6 years. Yes, its under $100. Its a backpack by virtue of having straps to carry it on your back, but not all the features of a outdoor/hiking/camping backpack. Enough for getting where you're going. Its never been questioned by gate agents as far as size or weight. But I'll admit the available colors are not that exciting.

Posted by
101 posts

We use MEI Voyageur backpacks and like them very much. They are very basic bags, maximum carryon size. They have substantial internal aluminum frames and hip belts that make them very comfortable to carry. I think they cost about $130. Extremely well made and durable. For day bags we use REI Flash 18 packs. We don't load them up in addition to the MEI Voyageurs though. We pack them empty inside the Voyageurs and use them if we need to carry stuff for daily outings.

Posted by
1321 posts

I'm with Stan. My wife and I also use the classic back pack and yes it is absolutely large enough and no it is not for hiking.

If this is the first time you plan to travel with a carry on back pack, you might try to ask your friends, colleagues, and family if anyone has a back pack you can borrow.

Advantages

1. You will get some experience with what YOU like and need
  2. Your spouse will not feel trapped in a new and scary way of traveling, but can agree to an experiment