Please sign in to post.

Average meal prices in Prague?

What's a normal price for lunch (say, at a sandwich shop or cafe) and dinner (at a sit-down restaurant) in Prague? From RS recommendations it sounds like 300Kc is normal for dinner but that seems too cheap when I convert to dollars... Trying to figure out how much currency to get before we go for a trip when we'll be in Prague for 2 days.

Posted by
5835 posts

300 CZK per person sounds in the ball park. Three years ago we were spending about 600 CZK for two when the Euro was running about $1.35 USD/EUR and Czech Krone ran about 18 or 19 to the USD if I recall correctly.

Ironically our most expensive dinner was suppose to be our light more economical meal at an Italian/pizza place. Dinner for two ran about 900 CZK. Everting was extra starting with bottled water. Don't eat the bread. It comes out in a big basket and you get charged by the slice. But that said 450 CZK, about $25 USD each doesn't break the bank.

Posted by
1878 posts

Depends upon the restaurant, but for beer hall style places I think we spent around $40-50 in 2011. Dollar is stronger now probably (haven't checked it vs. Czech currency). Depends upon your standards too, at the end our our Hungary-Czech Republic trip we were happy to find a Subway which was really cheap, about the same as here. I would not worry about cutting it too close. I recommend checking RIck's book on this for more current information.

Posted by
2639 posts

would agree with the 300kc in an average mid range restuarant in the city center, you can easily pay double that in some places and half that in places on the suburbs.i have had nights out in the dejvicka are where i normally stay ,large one course meall 5 drinks for 300kc and it was great.
many of the Pubs/hospodas do a lunchtime specials that can be real cheap ie under 120kc for 2 courses but the choice is very limited and the menus are usually in Czech, portions tend to be a bit smaller than the evening versions but great for a lunch.
this is my list of reviews on trip advisor, loads of reviews pf places in Prague most of which will have prices mentioned.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members-reviews/unclegus.
I visit prague several times a year (back there in 4 weeks time)I can live quite easily on 1000-1500kc per person per day, that includes lunch and dinner out, transport tickets , entrance to sports events and a few visitor attractions, 10 pin bpwling, loads to drink etc.Prague is quite a cheap place to visit.

Posted by
80 posts

Thanks for the info everyone! We'll probably just stick to eating mid-range meals in the city center. Looks like the conversion is now about 25:1 for the dollar so I'd be happy to spend 300Kc on a dinner... Haha. And thanks for the link Unclegus I will definitely check out your recommendations!

Posted by
2639 posts

where are you staying ? I might be able to recommend somewhere nearby

Posted by
80 posts

We are staying at the Hotel Zlata Vaha on Senovážné nám. 981/21

Posted by
2639 posts

you should find loads of places within easy walk of your hotel.Wenseslas square is nearby and one of my fun places to visit is Vytopna http://www.vytopna.cz/praha/ real fun place good food and decent beer. Ferdinada is on Opletalova, good Czech style place and very cheap.But loads of other options but I have tried these places in the last year.You are also a short walk fro namesti republicky and loads of places in that area ,The Obecni Dum (municipal house) is a stunning place and has several cafes, bars and resturants inside , will cost a good bit over 300kc per head but it is a beautiful place, great for afternoon coffee and cake
http://www.obecnidum.cz/en/restaurants-1404045200.html

Posted by
19092 posts

I was in Prague in 2012 (Hotel Lida). I stayed a few minutes, on the Metro, from downtown. I don't know if prices are less away from downtown.

The first night, because lunch was a sandwich at the train station in Pilsen, I ate at a fairly nice restaurant nearby (recommended by my host). I had a nice meal for 215 Kc. That did not include beverage (I love Czech Pils), another 90 Kc. I won't include what I gave as tip; that's up to you.

The next afternoon, on the Palace Hill, I had a fairly big lunch for 185 Kc. Bier (several) another 140 Kc.

That night, because I had had a fairly substantial lunch, I found a local, informal eatery near my hotel and had a lighter evening meal for 135 Kc. Bier was 28 Kc.

My impression of Prague was that restaurant food was quite a bit less than in Germany.

Posted by
48 posts

I just got back from Prague and I would say that you can get a decent sit-down meal within 200-300Kc... touristy places are a bit more expensive. One of the restaurants I ate a couple times was "Lokal" near the old town square... and the meal (An entree including beer was not more than 250Kc...
Beware of the vendors selling "rotisserie ham" in the touristy areas.. the food might be delicious, but they sell the meat and potatoes by the weight and can easily pack around 600-700Kc worth of food on your plate!!

Enjoy Prague... and research good places to eat... you won't be disappointed!

Posted by
2639 posts

Lokal have several places throughout the city and are great value as well as being good quality, they also do Tankova beer which is a couple of notches above the standard beer,
This link explains what tankova beer is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bctTkRVRRQI
the pub in this link is called U Veverky (The Squirrel),it is in the Dejvicka /Letna area and worth seeking out.I have visited there many times and it is a great place for beer and food. way off the tourist radar but they do have English menus if you ask.
I am back in Prague in 3 weeks time and just might make a visit to U veverky,there is also a new Lokal near the Sparta Prague stadium which I also hope to visit.

Posted by
2639 posts

I think the Lokal group is owned by Pilsner Urquell but I could be wrong.
Potrefena Husa is a chain restaurant owned by the Straropramen brewery and they have several places about the city, good quality food at great prices and I have always found the service to be very good in them.
http://www.potrefena-husa.eu/en

Posted by
80 posts

Thank you all for the recommendations! I think I have more restaurant recommendations for my 2 days in Prague than for anywhere else! I will certainly not go hungry :)

Posted by
2639 posts

hope you have a great time and find places to suit you, I am back in Prague on the 15th of may for a week and am looking forward to it.

Posted by
80 posts

Thank you Alan! I've actually already returned from my trip now (sadly), but I'm sure someone else going there soon will find this useful :)

Posted by
5835 posts

Alyssa,

Now that you're back, what was your typical meal cost?

Posted by
80 posts

Hi Edgar - We ate 3 sit-down meals and I would say the average per person cost was about 25-50 Kc for a beer and about 150-200 for food.

Posted by
2639 posts

sounds like you paid pretty reasonable prices, can you remember the places you went to?
I was in Prague last week but the only time I was in the center was in Old Town square on the 16th for the ice hockey semi-final against Canada, it was buzzing.

Posted by
80 posts

Unclegus - Yes, I try to write down all the places I eat so I can review them on TripAdvisor later. The first night we had dinner at Potrefená husa Hybernská on Dlážděná 1003/7 because it was near our hotel and we both really enjoyed our food there. The second day we had lunch at the touristy Villa Richter terrace restaurant - It was not expensive by American standards (150 Kc for a panini) but if you compared it to the lunch we ate the day before which was similar and only cost about 50 Kc then it was, but we were at Prague Castle and hungry and the setting was very nice. And the second night we ate dinner at Kotleta Restaurant on Truhlářská 1110/4.

Posted by
2639 posts

you will always pay a premium near any tourist site but that was still not bad.
I have been in a few Potrefena husa places in the city but not that one but they have always been very good.

Posted by
2639 posts

my most expensive meal last week was in this place near the International hotel in the Dejvicka area of the city.
http://www.podjuliskou.cz/cz/
I was there with a few friends and as it was asparagus week in Prague they had an asparagus themed menu.
I had a carpaccio of beetroot and white asparagus and parmesan shavings followed by a pork loin steak, with green&white asparagus and potato gratin. washed down with 2 unpasteurised beers my share of the bill was 450kc which I though a total bargain.
wish I could post photos here as the meals looked as great as they tasted.