Please sign in to post.

Any ideas

Hi we are planning a trip and are looking for recommendations from once we come from Prague/Pilzen them Karlovy Vary. Was hoping to keep heading up towards Liberc and was wanting to spend a few days looking at different towns along the way. We plan on spending 2 weeks touring the whole country but have a soft spot for small non touristy towns.
We are novices so any recommendations be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
35 posts

Even better news now our Clucky Isa Brown has finally given up thinking she going to raise a family ( after 3 months) and back on the roost. Czheck Republic here we come

Posted by
14507 posts

"...have a soft spot for small non touristy towns." Fantastic! If you were ask about that in Germany, I have a lots of suggestions for you.

In Czechia I'll suggest Brno, Slavkov (Austerlitz), Ostrava (Mährish Ostrau), Olomouc, Tesin, ie the Czech part, the rest went to Poland, and since you'll in Prague, how about going a bit east of that to Hradec Kralova, better known in history as Königgrätz?

I rather doubt that you'll come across lots of international or anglophone tourists, if any, in these places and Liberc too.

Posted by
35 posts

Thanks for that Fred. The towns mentioned looked very appealing.
As much as tourist towns are great a small town with a few pubs would give us the feel of what its like to live there.

Posted by
14507 posts

@ Albert...Exactly. I have found that going to these small towns where on occasion I saw I was the only visitor, outsider in the town center it's refreshing, be it in Germany, France, Poland or the Czech Rep as the locals there aren't at all used to seeing visitors, except those of their own nationality.

Numerous (small) places I have gone in Germany are just like that, especially in the east and in North Germany, eg, Pinneberg bei Hamburg, or Wustrau/Brandenburg. Likewise in France but not as many.

True, being there under those circumstances gives you an insight into how the local folks live when you enter a card shop, the post office, a cafe, tavern, and so on. If it's some sort of eatery, cafe, etc, don't always expect an English menu or one with English next to the local language. Chances are you might, and chances are... no English. I've been in several places, all small towns, in eastern Germany where the menu was only in German, and that's it.

Posted by
35 posts

Haha that be funny though trying to explain what we want in different languages. We are trying to learn basics so hoping they appreciate our effort.
Thinking Marianske Lazne for a night then Cheb then Karlovy Vary then by then have an idea what how and when our travels will go.
Its great hearing ideas and trying to plan.
Thanks heaps

Posted by
407 posts

One question. Why Cheb? The Spa towns at Marianske Lazne and Karlovy Vary are definitely worth a visit but my in-laws live in Cheb so I'm there quite often. Nice Square, on the river, good for a woodland walk or sailing as there's a big lake nearby. If you are towards the south of the country there's a nice group of towns at Telc, Jindrichuv Hradec, Tabor and Pisek. If you stay in the area look for the Hotel Bila Pani in Jindrichuv Hradec. Lovely little 3 star.

Posted by
35 posts

Thankyou for reply and only reason why Cheb its close to border and on rail line.
Happy to get more suggestions.
History towns great but small village intrigue us.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

I would have picked Cheb too. It was called Eger prior to the war, located in immediate area of Egerland, which was the first town in the Sudetenland, where 3.6 million Sudeten Germans lived. Other towns you picked, ie Liberc were also part of the Sudetenland, that was called Reichenberg.

Posted by
4637 posts

First I would recommend Rick Steves book Prague & the Czech Republic. Rick already selected the best of the Czech Republic. And as a native of the C.R. I absolutely agree. So I will not include in my suggestion anything what is already in his book. However I will try to name some towns and destinations which I suspect could be in R.S. book in near future. Plzen (Pilsen), Ceske Budejovice (Budweis) both cities known among others for its famous breweries - you can do a tour. Tabor - pretty town, Hussite Museum, Brno - the second largest city in C.R. with a lot to see. Uherske Hradiste - center of a very traditional area called Slovacko - folk costumes, folk songs, wine (&women & songs). Visitor Center is the only one where you can buy wine (local). I am not aware of any other V.C. doing the same. Nearby Bata Canal, beautiful wine cellars in Plze in Petrov. Castle Buchlov and many others. Every second weekend in September there is http://www.slavnostivinauh.cz . Karlova Studanka in the Jeseniky mountains right under the tallest mountain of Moravia Praded (translated Great Grandfather). In the TV tower on the top there is a small hotel and restaurant where you can order Praded - local liquor. Google pictures of Karlova Studanka - stunningly beautiful. Znojmo - historical town with wine region around. Very close to Austrian border. And I apologize to many towns and villages I could not include. Of course it is subjective despite my trying to look at it with R.S. eyes.
Edit: And Marianske Lazne belongs here, too. Small comparing to Karlovy Vary nevertheless second largest spa in C.R. Very beautiful.

Posted by
35 posts

Thankyou for in depth reply leaves us with heaps of suggestions we can go back to when we are on tour.

Posted by
1603 posts

I recommend Telc! Such a pretty little town, with a wonderful castle and ponds on either side of the town. We spent one night there, and it is one of our favorite places and favorite memories.

Posted by
35 posts

Telc does look like something out of a story book so definitely be visiting there

Posted by
214 posts

I followed Ilja's advice last summer and had a wonderful itinerary and trip. We had already seen Prague a lot so we went to Brno with a friend from there and then they took us by car to the wine country in Southern Czech -Lednice, Mikulov (LOVED this little picturesque town), all around Palava and Klentnice - beautiful coffee shops (Cafe Ferra), churches, countryside and wineries. Then we went back to Brno and were tourists for the day. From there, we did rent a car and went to Znojmo (nice little town with beautiful scenery, great castle and frescos in St. Catherine's rotunda. Drove through Narodni Park/forest, stopping in little towns and seeing the sites and churches. We toured other small towns and castles including - Vranov nad Dyji (toured the Vranov nad Dyjí Chateau) and visited castle ruins in Cornštejn, and then Bítov Castle (this was a great castle). Spent the night in Telc and wandered around this cute town - very quiet after tourists leave in the evening and we stayed very economically in a pension on the square.
We then went to Jindřichův Hradec (we just toured a part of this but the artwork was amazing, Červená Lhota (the red castle situated down a wooded path and situated in the middle of a lake), and then made our way to Cesky Krumlov - (very nice in the evening when it isn't bottleneck tourist crowd). On our way to Prague, we stopped at Hluboká Castle which is a historic château situated in Hluboká nad Vltavou. I've been to Oloumouc and Tesin which are also wonderful towns (Olomouc isn't so little and is a university town but very interesting and quiet in evenings).

Posted by
35 posts

Thankyou Diana this will be a great reference for us.
The beauty of this site is its easily accessed when we are away and we can always go back to these ideas.
Really looking forward to exploring and seeing another country at Easter be interesting

Posted by
1603 posts

Hi Albert,
Like Dana, we too visited Znojmo. We drove there after we checked into our hotel in Telc. Our daughter had visited Znojmo when she studied in Prague for a semester. This is wine country, and they have a big wine festival every year in the autumn. It was a lovely drive there from Telc, about one hour. We had a wine tasting at the Spalek Family Winery. if you need hotel recommendations for Telc, we stayed at the Hotel Celerin, located right on the square.

And like Dana, we also visited the Chateau Hluboka nad Vltavou. It is breathtaking! It's a 19th century castle that looks like it came from a fairy tale. I highly recommend. At the time, 2009, it was not in my guidebook. The owner of our pension in Prague recommended it to us, and it was a highlight of our trip.

Posted by
214 posts

Be sure to ask about the custom between men and women at Easter. Perhaps Ilja can explain.

Posted by
4637 posts

Dana is right. There is a peculiar custom there. Very much still alive in smaller towns and villages especially in southeastern Moravia. Monday is a holiday when this custom happens. In the morning. Instead of writing about it myself, google Easter in Czech Republic. A lot of information there and it is true.

Posted by
613 posts

It's popular, but Chesky Krumlov deserves a visit. Decin (last town on the Elbe in Czech Republic) was a pleasant surprise

Posted by
35 posts

I just googled Decin and it looks very attractive and well worth a look.
Also the Easter tradition looks far more interesting than our aussie ways.
Thanks heaps

Posted by
35 posts

So far our train trip holiday been to Prague,Plzen,Marianske Lazne,Karlovy Vary all for a night and spending our second night Bilina now. Probably our favourite place so far. English has been an issue but can get by.
Weather been actually quite warm so looking forward to some rain. Everything so picturesque with tulips the standout.
Train transport very easy and every day we seem to get on a different train. I would suggest getting a sim card we only using wifi and it can be hard leaving station and finding destination.
It is a Beer lovers dream with big glasses and cheap drinks and a great variety of foods available.
I will add some more in a few days.

Albert

Posted by
214 posts

Great, Albert - we want to hear all about your trip!!

Posted by
35 posts

Hi Dana.
We sat having a beer going through Ricks book today in Litomerice. Then a nice storm hit so had few more beers.
Very friendy here they seem to try harder for us English only speaking folk. Its actually embarrassing at how little Czech language we know or understand. Its like a game of charades and we still look blankly at each other!
Terezin in morning which will be sad but hopefully can learn from the History of it to pass on to others.

Albert

Posted by
35 posts

Just spent 2 days in Kutna Hora. Its hard to imagine ever coming across a nicer place. Lovely Town with beatifull setting of Churches,Museums,cobblestone streets and very friendly people. Cheap places to eat and a photo opportunity on every corner. History of silver mining amazing and quiet little town square to base yourself at Hotel Medinek and once again very reasonable price.
Abert rating of 10 out 10 for everything in Kutna Hora

Posted by
613 posts

small non touristy towns.---- Dechin
Pecs (pronounced half way between pech and peach). Somewhat touristy but well worth it.

Posted by
4637 posts

Decin (e & c have little hooks above) is indeed in pretty surroundings in the deep Elbe (Labe) valley with cliffs. It is the last train stop in the Czech Republic before border on the main railroad Prague - Dresden - Berlin. Pecs is in Hungary.

Posted by
35 posts

Was on our agenda but few issues with change of trains had us further down.
Staying in Brno for 2 nights. Underground tour and then Castle in morning.
Thinking Telc next? By train? Any better ideas for 2 nights that within 2 hours of Brno?
Brno fun so far friendly and all school kids dressed up in costume running round streets. Older graduated ones i mean

Posted by
4637 posts

Telc is very pretty really small town. Beautiful square and chateau. Two lakes from both sides. IMHO a day trip would be sufficient. Go by bus. Train takes a detour and takes too long. Something for two nights: Lednice, Valtice, Mikulov. Read about them in R.S. book: Prague & the Czech Republic.