Please sign in to post.

4 days in Prague

Hello, my husband and I will be traveling to Prague towards the end of October. What is the weather like? Also, are there any recommended day trips outside of Prague? I've heard of Cesky Krumlov, is that easy to take public transportation there and back in one day, or is a proper tour guide recommended? Thank you!

Posted by
8141 posts

I look up all weather temperatures and rainfall on Wikipedia for the cities.
Two great day.trips from Prague are Dresden via train--formerly one of Europe's most beautiful cifies. And Cesky Krumlov is a couple of hours south. Most take a bus or shuttle van down there.

Posted by
3391 posts

I would highly recommend a visit to one of the castles outside of Prague. Konopiste and Karlstein are both great. Konopiste is a nice walk from the lot up to the castle. Karlstein is a longer walk with an uphill climb. Of the two Konopiste is my favorite. If you've ever seen The Illusionist, much of it was filmed there. It's unique compared to all the other castles in the CR.

Posted by
2639 posts

the weather can be quite good but early morning and evening quite a bit cooler,certainly I have been in Prague in late October when I have been able to walk about during the day without a coat.
personally I think ceskyKrumlov is a long day drip especially doing it on your own,possible but you are going to be spending at least 6 hours travelling that day.
some good suggestions for day trips but I would say Karlstejn is only a half day (40 minutes each way on the train). I often go there and then walk from there to Beroun 2-4 hours depending on the route I take , easy to get train back from Beroun.
Kutna Hora is another popular day trip and only an hour from Prague but does involve a bit of walking and is set on a fairly steep hill.
https://livingprague.com/prague-walking-tours/
this is a good website for info on Prague, I have set it at the Tours page as they do excellent small group tours.I have done tours with Jason since he first started them about 18 months ago but I have known Jason for years long before he became a full time guide. The info on other parts of the website is superb.
http://www.prague.net/itineraries-in-prague
this is another great website for info.i have set it to the itineries page but again look at the full website for lots of ideas and great info.
Another great small group tour company is Naked Tours.
http://www.nakedtourguideprague.com/prague_tours/
Marcus who is part owner of the company and tour guide often comes on this forum, lovely guy and I did the early Morning tour with him earlier this year and it was excellent, he is a really nice guy too.
so hopefully this gives you some ideas

Posted by
4637 posts

Cesky Krumlov is too far for a day trip. 3 hours one way. It would be perfect for an overnight trip - easily done on your own. Nice day trips - as others suggested - would be Kutna Hora, Karlstejn, Krivoklat, Konopiste.

Posted by
5687 posts

The OP has probably been home from Prague for two months now - no point in offering new advice.