Please sign in to post.

2018 trip

Starting to plan month trip for September 2018. How many days would I spend (after night flight) in Prague? Have allotted so far 1/2 day upon arrival and then 2 full days. Is this enough.?Will travel by train to Cesky Crumlov for a day and stay overnight then travel to Vienna. Have RS book on Prague & Czech Republic and just starting to read.

Posted by
86 posts

I would suggest looking into a shuttle from Prague to CK and CK to Vienna. A company like CK Shuttle offers door-to-door service.

Posted by
4637 posts

I say - a minimum 3 days for Prague, with jet lag - 4.

Posted by
17908 posts

1 Depart US
2 Arrive Prague
3 Prague
4 Prague
5 Prague
6 CK Shuttle to Cesky Krumlov
7 CK Shuttle to Vienna
8 Vienna
9 Vienna / Melk / Wachau Valley
10 Vienna
11 Vienna
12 Train to Gyor / Pannonhalma Archabbey & Winery
13 Train to Budapest
14 Budapest
15 Budapest
16 Budapest to Pecs
17 Pecs to Budapest
18 Budapest
19 Budapest
20 Wizzair to Kyiv
21 Kyiv
22 Kyiv
23 Ukraine Air to Lviv
24 Lviv
25 Lviv
26 Ryanair to Krakow
27 Krakow
28 Krakow
29 Krakow
30 Krakow to home

Okay, so there are thousands of options. This one keeps travel time to under 3 hours per leg and limits the number of hotel changes while giving a pretty broad cross section of the Central and Eastern Europe from Cities to small towns.

Posted by
3594 posts

To elaborate on what Kevin said, when we looked into trains between Vienna and CK, we found that taking one of the private shuttles was cheaper and more efficient. If I remember correctly, you have to change trains; and the journey winds up taking about 6 hours for that reason. I think the same was true of travel between CK and Prague. You should definitely check out the shuttle companies.

Posted by
650 posts

I agree about CK Shuttle. Besides being cheaper and more convenient than trains between Vienna and Prague, you might get a chatty driver and learn a lot as well.

Posted by
649 posts

Thanks to all of you for your input. I will certainly contact the shuttle service. Any idea of the travel time between Prague & CK and what the price may be??

Posted by
4637 posts

Prague to Cesky Krumlov takes about 3 hours by Yellow bus (Student Agency now renamed Regiojet). Bus leaves every hour from the bus station Na Knizeci where you get by Metro. Get off at the station Andel. Ticket cost about 200 czk = $8. There is also good connection by train. One train is direct. All others with one train change in Ceske Budejovice. The price is similar. Shuttle is substantially more expensive and not necessary between Prague and Cesky Krumlov. Saved time is negligible. However between C.K. and Vienna you can save a lot of time by using shuttle because train makes a big detour and you have to change at least once in Ceske Budejovice.