Please sign in to post.

Train from Prague to Vienna

I have looked at the options for train travel from Prague to Vienna. Recommendations?

Posted by
2081 posts

edina1,

i did the train route. Note that i bought my train ticket in advance (as soon as i was able to) and so it was only about 27 USD and it took about 4.5 hours.

to me, it all depends on what floats your boat and how you like to travel. I personally, like their trains and use them as much as possible. I leave the car for when i cant take a train or bus.

happy trails.

Posted by
16893 posts

The direct daytime train departs 6x/day and does not require reservations. You can buy tickets on the spot, although standard price is closer to €65 than to €19. From mid-December, the EuroCity service will be replaced by the Austrian RailJet, running a half-hour faster, also €65 and seat reservations optional.

Posted by
8142 posts

I found the train ride between those cities to be relatively slow, and we were a little uncomfortable on the train with poor a/c even in April. The scenery is of the Danube River bottom, and it's very flat and uneventful.

But it's the best way between the two cities.

Posted by
4637 posts

Railjet goes every two hours direct from Prague to Vienna and beyond. Blue Railjet belongs to Czech railroad, red Railjet is Austrian. It takes 4 hours 10 minutes. While it is not as fast as let's say TGV or Thalys, it is not slow. Speed between stations is 100 to 160 km/hour. Lowest price is 538 Kc which right now is US$ 24.20. There is a nice scenery between stations Chocen (train does not stop there) and Brno, otherwise is more or less flat.