Please sign in to post.

Prague Guides

We only have a couple of full days in Prague in early December, and I have read Rick's recommendations for guides in Prague. Does anyone have experience with Prague Walkers or can recommend a couple of guides?

Thank you.
Sharon

Posted by
24 posts

Sharon,

My wife and I recently visited Prague and arranged with PragueWalker for a four-hour "Prague at a Glance" tour. Our guide, Michaela (Miša) Vlachova, succeeded brilliantly under pressure. You see, upon our arrival in Prague, we had been rather shocked at the pervasiveness of the tourism culture in the Old Town Square and vicinity -- like being dropped into Times Square on New Year's Eve. This first impression had made us question whether we had even made the right decision in coming to Prague or staying in the Old Town. So when Miša arrived at our hotel for the start of our tour, we had to tell her we didn't want to view the major sights. Imagine!

Miša was very flexible, changing her plans on the spot. She came up with a new plan to skirt the Square and Charles Bridge entirely and instead showed us the Strahov Monastery, the Castle Quarter, Mala Strana, Kampa Island, and lots of areas of personal interest. (We did visit the Charles Bridge and the Old Town Square another day -- before breakfast.) Miša imparted lots of great historical and cultural info with good humor, and without subjecting us to a breathless overload of data (as other guides in the past have done). She helped us feel so much more comfortable in Prague, and our stay was so much more enjoyable because we met her. We would not hesitate to recommend Miša and PragueWalker to anyone looking to get more out of their visit to Prague.

Hope that helps...

Dave

Posted by
63 posts

Hello Dave,

Thank you very much for your response. We have only two full days in Prague and would like to maximize our time there so a guide seems the best way to do that. We will certainly contact your referral, and thank you again for your help. Did you tip her and what is considered appropriate?

Sharon

Posted by
24 posts

Sharon,

We did tip Miša though I honestly can't remember how much. I believe 10 to 15% is appropriate. Hope that helps!

Dave

Posted by
41 posts

Hi Sharon,

I visited Prague this past June, and for PragueWalker I had a wonderful experience with Tereza. I went on two guided walking tours with Tereza, a four hour tour of the Castle District, Mala Strana and Kampa Island, and a three and a half hour Communism tour. I found Tereza to be extremely knowledgeable, absolutely engaging and with a great sense of humor. Tereza was just like a local friend showing me around Prague. And Tereza was also very flexible with the itinerary for each walking tour. For PragueWalker I highly recommend Tereza, she's above and beyond amazing.

Just in case you're not able to hire Tereza at PragueWalker, or if you decide to check out another walking tour company, I'd also recommend the guides at The Naked Tour Guide. The day after I arrived in Prague I went on a three hour introductory walking tour with Marcus at The Naked Tour Guide, and Marcus was very knowledgeable and flexible as well.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions, and you're absolutely going to love Prague!

Best Regards,
Ernesto

Posted by
6 posts

We just finished a private 1/2 day tour with one of the guides recommended in Rick Steves Prague guidebook, Vaclav Storek. He was absolutely delightful. His english was wonderful and his knowledge of history was fabulous, he taught us so much as we walked from the Monastary down to the old town center. He had just the right sense of humor and kept our attention the entire time. We would definitely recommend him.