Please sign in to post.

Itinerary planning recommendations Prague - Zagreb

Next August my husband and I will have 9 nights to get from Prague to Zagreb. We plan on arriving in Prague the evening of August 21st flying over from London. We have to be in Zagreb by mid day August 30th for an REI multisport trip through Croatia for 8 days beginning in Zagreb and ending in Trogir. So Croatia will be nicely explored.

We are interested in some active days: biking/hiking & some beer and wine tasting. We have looked at the map and see that we have many routes to explore. We are considering all our options at this time with thoughts of Vienna, Salzburg, Budapest, Slovenia, Trieste and the Istria area. Initally our thought was finding three cities to concentrate our activities around with Prague being one of those cities but if there is enough to explore 2 cities with Prague being one. A few Day trips and group adventures would great.

My husband is not a museum guy but he loves to explore towns, gathering places like town squares & outdoor spaces like Peterhof. He did tour the coliseum in Rome, the Vatican and The Hermitage in St. Petersburg, but he'd rather be enjoying local beer and wine and food.

Any and all thoughts are welcome as we are truly exploring all the options and have no experience at all in this part of Europe. THANKS... Donna

Posted by
7330 posts

Are you planning on using trains to connect your destinations, or a rental car, or a combination? Remember that car rental companies will likely charge a hefty fee for picking up a car in one country and dropping off in another, if they even allow it. Some countries even prohibit driving into certain countries, so check the fine print. In Austria, you'd also need an International Driver's Permit, available thru your local AAA, even if you're not a member.

There's a bike path and route along the Danube River that runs from Passau, Germany thru Vienna, Austria, and then on eastward. You can rent great bikes from a rail station in Austria and return is at a different station, allowing a one-way bike tour along the Danube, drinking radlers and Wachau Valley wine along the way ;-).

Venice, Italy and also Slovenia might be on your route towards Croatia. Rent a rowboat on Lake Bled, and check out the Karst caves in Slovenia (like Skocjan), in addition to the Hungarian caves that James references.

Posted by
1321 posts

We do have international DL but are looking into all available forms of transport. I did a quick search on AutoEurope websites and oneway rentals pricing to the cities mentioned are not unacceptable.

I think once we figure out the where we'll figure out the how.

Thanks for the recommendations! Love the RUIN Pubs.... tanks though probably not but worth a look :) Donna

Posted by
1321 posts

The bath house looks awesome ... thanks for all the recommendations....

Posted by
17868 posts

Where ever you end up going, make sure you get good air conditioning. It can be pretty uncomfortable in Europe in August (which makes caving and bath house more enjoyable). As for the tanks; my wife had a blast driving them. Sort of Road Rage gone wild.