Please sign in to post.

River Cruise

Considering a Danube river cruise, options where to start Munich or Prague prior to boarding the ship. Can anyone recommend visiting either Munich or Prague for three days prior to the cruise?

Posted by
4637 posts

Which cruise are you considering? Some cruises already include Prague. In that case visit Munich. I saw both of your cities. Prague is more scenic and seems more authentic. Munich was completely rebuilt after WWII and sometimes you can notice that. Both cities have excellent beer. It's quite cheaper in Prague. I would probably vote for Prague. Where will your cruise start? If in Germany you would be closer to Munich so logistically it will be easier to be in Munich for three days prior to the cruise.

Posted by
34 posts

I hope it is really clear from the above and from your cruise info: Prague is NOT on the Danube and there is no river from Prague to the Danube. I have met an amazing number of folks who bought a cruise not knowing this. They were quite upset about the bus!

Posted by
19092 posts

I know a lot of cruises begin in Nuernberg, others in Passau. Both cities are easily reached by rail from Munich, Nuernberg in 1h20m, Passau in about 2 hrs. Munich is probably more easily accessible (directly) by air from the US than is Prague.

Posted by
4 posts

I'm taking a river cruise in August 2014 leaving from vilshofen which is an hour outside of Munich. I planned four days in Prague and then flying to Munich on easyjet for $100. It's a hour flight and spending two days in Munich. Call river cruise company many of them have transportation arranged from Munich to the boat. I'm taking an AMA cruise and they have two buses a day from the Munich airport to boat for $30

Posted by
195 posts

We are taking an AMA Danube cruise in April. Precruise option includes Prague for 3 nights, and then bus to Vilshofen, with a stop in Regensburg on the way. Seems like a good way to see some 'must sees' on our list. We also extended for 2 days in Prague, for a total of 5 days there so as to see more of this wonderful city. You can also start in Munich for this cruise and be transferred by AMA to Vilshofen for a fee, but Prague was not to be missed! From reading guidebooks and talking to people who have been to both, we concluded that Prague was where we wanted to be!!