Please sign in to post.

Prague Hotel suggestions?

We will be in Prague from the 21st-25th of April this spring (immediately following Easter), and would love some suggestions for lodgings. My husband would rather stay in a hotel than a pension or B&B (he's uncomfortable making small talk with owners)-- I, on the other hand, wouldn't mind that. We are looking to spend no more than $200 US per night, but hopefully less than that. Thanks!

Posted by
17872 posts

EDITED to FIX TYPOS

I had a suggestion before I hit the $200 a night limitation. (150€) But if tour budget increases for what ever reason, we once stayed a the Hotel Ventana and it remains one of the nicest small hotels we have ever been in. There are also few hotels better situated for a tourist.

Posted by
4637 posts

I stayed in few hotels in Prague; most of the time I stay with my friends. Hotel Antic: excellent location - few steps from Old Town Square (Staromestske namesti). Nice hotel, our room was small. Hotel Betlem Club: very good location, stylish, our room was in the attic, spacey, the building is very historical, breakfast is in the dungeon from 14th century. Hotel Kafka: in residential neighborhood of Zizkov, big room, low price, one stop by tram to Main Train Station. Hotel U Suteru: good price, large room in old building, vaulted ceiling, walking distance to Wenceslas Square (Vaclavske namesti). Hotel Andante: nice hotel, good price, room somewhat smaller, walking distance from Wenceslas Square. Others were pensions which I am not recommending. They were good but far from the center. Here are few websites to check:
http://www.praguepost.com , http://www.pragueexperience.com , http://www.prague-stay.com .

Posted by
8130 posts

Go to Booking.com, filter for the lowest prices and then look for the accommodations with the very highest customer ratings. Center city is preferable.

AirBnB.com also has a bunch of listings there.

And I never spend anywhere $200 per night for rooms anywhere. Prague is getting more expensive, but is still no where as high on rooms as a Paris or London.

Posted by
19092 posts

Other than your husband's aversion to friendliness, I think this place is perfect.

In Germany I have so much trust in the standard of the Germans v-v cleanliness, comfort, that I have no reservations about booking anywhere and use town website accommodation lists liberally, but I wasn't to sure about the Czech Republic, so I went with Rick's recommendation. I can only say that Lida exceeded all expectations.

But, the owner, Jan, loves his city and loves to tell you about it. Before I could put my bag in my room he had me in the breakfast room and showed me his notebook with maps, etc about places to see. He is a very gracious host and will do whatever to make you visit enjoyable.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you to everyone for all your suggestions! I'll be looking into them this coming weekend; hopefully we'll have something booked soon.

Posted by
2455 posts

I stayed at the Green Garland in 2011, and enjoyed it very much. It's right in the historic area of the city center, just a few minutes walk from Town Hall, Charles Bridge, etc. it is called a B & B, but is really like a small hotel. No small talk, breakfast in a small dining room on the ground floor. Rooms are up one or two floors. Price is certainly within your range, and seems to vary a lot from season to season. You can take a look at uzv.cz.

Posted by
782 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Learnado which is a small hotel with very nice rooms and great service and included breakfast,it is located about two blocks from The Charles Bridge,you can read the reviews on Trip Advisor.The Hotel can reccommend places to visit and good restaurants,they also have a nice bar to relax after a day out.

Posted by
61 posts

Anne,

My vote is for Garland Pension (U Zeleneho Vence) as well. It was reasonably priced and definitely worth it! The location is absolutely prime! It is centrally located between the Charles Bridge, the Old Town and Wenceslas Square, a few minutes walk to each. What makes this area so special are the back streets with beautiful old architecture and quaint cobblestone lanes. Just strolling through these streets, especially between sunset/twilight is incredible! The room I had was very clean and looked very well maintained. The bed was clean and comfortable. A continental breakfast is also included. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They were kind enough to answer my many questions regarding transportation, food as well as the Czech culture. Have fun in Prague!

Posted by
18 posts

We second Lida Guesthouse! Jan is great, and he was very helpful when we needed to change our itinerary due to weather (we were camping from then on out). You can see some video/pics of the place on our web series at www.youtube.com/wilsonfamilyfilms. Check out the "Discovering Central Europe" series - Prague is the first stop in episode 1.

Posted by
5 posts

We loved Hotel Maximilian. Our triple room was about $180 per night (we stayed 4 nights). Included an excellent breakfast and 5-6pm coffee/tea/cake (wine and cheese on Wed). Spacious comfortable room, attentive staff, great location a few blocks from Old Town Square but out of the crowds. It's a modern hotel, so if you're looking for old world charm this isn't the place.

Posted by
5835 posts

I will add my endorsement of the Green Garland Pension (U Zeleneho Vence):
http://www.uzv.cz/index1.htm

Great location, helpful staff, good breakfast, large comfortable room. Not for the mobility impaired - no lift.

Winter rates (early March) were a bargain:. Low season rates: 02 Jan - 31 Mar & 01 Nov - 22 Dec.
Middle season: 01 Jul - 31 Aug.

Posted by
1203 posts

I went on the Rick Steves week long tour of Prague ( he does not have that tour any longer) and we stayed at the House of the Big Boot and I loved it. The Breakfast was excellent and the staff was very nice. The owners were very nice and helpful. They don't expect you to talk to them, good morning and good nite. They are very helpful if you need information, maybe more so than if you stay at a hotel. Check the website and the Rick Steves Prague book. Have a great time, Prague is a very interesting city.