Please sign in to post.

Prague

Reviews of a few places from our trip earlier this month.

Hotel Leon D'Oro--Great location, very nice hotel, great staff. The room was well kept and very spacious. The downside was that it was like a sauna when we got there, so we had to open the windows to cool it down. We had incredibly noisy neighbors. A group of families with middle school age boys who were left to run wild (literally) while the parents went out to party. A call to the desk was good, and they came up and spoke to the boys, but they only behaved for like 5 minutes. When the parents returned, they all purposely made more noise. In the morning the hotel asked if everything calmed down after they came up and we told them no and explained what happened. They were very nice and offered for us to move rooms. That was a very nice offer, but we passed since we had settled in. It was not the hotels fault that their guests had no sense of common courtesy, but the hotel was great in making that offer to us. We would stay there again.

Mistral Cafe--Excellent! I was hoping for a salad, but we were a few minutes too early so I ended up ordering avocado toast. OMG, I was so happy with that when I saw it! It was excellent! Service was good, prices fair, and it was nice to find some healthy food options.

Starbucks near the clock--Yes, it's a Starbucks, but they have some different breakfast options than here in the states. We had breakfast one morning before an early tour, so our hotel breakfast was not open yet. When you enter it looks tiny, but there is more seating upstairs, so plenty of room.

Giovannis--We stumbled upon this on our day of arrival and it was lunchtime and we were hungry. We didn't expect much as it was so close to the main square, but it was excellent! We shared a caprese salad and a pizza. Service was very good and we loved the atmosphere.

Bredovsky Dvur--It is located a bit away from the main tourist area, but just a short 15 minute or so walk. My husband had the steak of beef with a side of sweet potato fries and I had the grilled duck breast with sweet potato puree. Both were excellent!!! Our waiter was very good and made some great suggestions for us. We loved the decor with the brick archways and the beautiful tanks of beer. Prices were very reasonable. We would absolutely dine here again!

Bila Krava--Like the other restaurant, it is a bit away from the main tourist area but just a short 15 minute or so walk. We shared the lamb croquette to start, and then shared both the veal and the 3 beef selection. We also had a side order of green beans and a side salad, again all shared. Every single item was prepared perfectly and absolutely delicious! The lemon and mango sorbets with sparkling wine was a perfect way to end the meal. From the moment we walked in to when we left, we felt very welcomed. Our waitress was excellent and the prices very reasonable. This restaurant exceeded our high expectations!

Walking tour--We did the Bright and Early Morning Tour with Naked Tour Guide (no they are not naked LOL). It starts at 8am and so you get to see the city before the crowds. It was excellent! So much information on the clock and every statue on the Charles Bridge. It lasted just over 2 hours and the guide was so knowledgeable. I highly recommend this!

Posted by
2639 posts

Bredovsky Dvur is a place I always recommend for great Czech food, beer is great in there too. I often visit there with Czech friends and visitors to the city ( took a Rick Steves member there a while ago) as it close to metro stops and the main train station.
I have been on the Bright and Early Morning Tour with Naked Tour Guide, really good, lead by Marcus who often comes on the Czech Forum with his excellent advice ,I can highly recommend it.

Posted by
2018 posts

UncleGus--My husband does not drink, so he enjoys the non alcoholic beer and so tried ones at each restaurant and was very happy with those. It was your suggestion I saw about the Naked Tour Guide. We had a lady, in her mid-late 20's, as our guide. She was from the US but went to Prague for grad school and stayed. She was wonderful! I really wish I could remember her name, but I am terrible about that.