Please sign in to post.
Posted by
5687 posts

I think there's at least one direct bus a day. Try www.croatiabus.com . There are also several direct trains a day between Zagreb and Ljubljana, and you can take a bus from there to Venice. It's easy to change from train to bus in Ljubljana - the bus and train stations are both small and next to each other. You can use GoOpti or DRD to get from Ljubljana to Venice in addition to other scheduled buses you may find.

If you have the time, Ljubljana is a nice place to overnight between cities - lovely town, pretty at night along the river.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks! I like the idea of staying over in Ljub. . . Never would have thought to do it that way. Checked the train schedule out of Zagreb and this should work perfectly. We will just take the bus to Venice next day. Again, thanks.

Posted by
5687 posts

I have used the DRD bus in the other direction (Venice Mestre to Ljubljana) before and may use it again next month. One downside is that it drops you at the Mestre train/bus station, so you still need to get into Venice itself from there - just a cheap, 10 minute train ride, though.

GoOpti is a shuttle service that doesn't run regular schedules. I haven't used them, but I've heard from Slovenes on other forums who claim to use and like them. But they may take you directly to Venice's bus station and perhaps even pick you up in Ljubljana at your hotel. You tell them what time you want to leave, within a range of a few hours, and the day before you leave they let you know what time they'll pick you up. So if you have no particular time you must be in Venice, you could say 8-11am and just live with whatever time of pick-up they offer. (The reason for the range is that they can schedule other passengers who need to depart/arrive around the same times and group you together.)