Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Croatia

My friend and I will be travelling to Croatia in July. We are planning 2 nights in Dubrovnik, then on to Montenegro for 3-4 nights, and then back to Croatia the last 3-4 nights.
Could anyone offer any advice on where to stay in Croatia where we can relax, enjoy the beach etc., but isn't really sleepy at night? We don't want to travel up the coast too far as we'll then have a long drive back to catch our flight home.

Posted by
2047 posts

We took the bus from Kotor, Montenegro to Dubrovnik. It took about 1 1/2 hours, mainly due to the border/passport check. Kotor was beautiful, though we enjoyed our time in Croatia more. In Dubrovnik, we stayed at the Hotel Neptun. It was a great location- north of the downtown on the coast. It was an easy (20 minute) bus ride into the old city; and included a great breakfast buffet. We loved being able to go downtown as we desired, but then go back to hotel when we wanted to relax in a beautiful location. I'm pretty sure they have a beach, though we were there in April and it was too cold to swim. We also really like Split which gives you a sense of a more "real" Croatian city.

Posted by
6 posts

For many, Bol, Island of Brac ("Brach"), is the perfect summer beach resort. Personally, I have an off-season love affair with Bol and the entire Island of Brac when the tourist hoards have disappeared. The Island of Brac (Otok Brac) is the largest of the islands on the Dalmatian coast, and is very diverse. Each of the towns has its own character. The inland village of Skrip is the site of a neolithic/mesolithic settlement, and the interesting island museum. Reach Brac by easy, cheap 1-hour ferry from Split, by car or on foot. Buses navigate around the island. I have been staying in one of the Villa Adria apartments in Bol for October and November. It is my perfect vacation and retreat home. The one-bedroom apartment is modern, clean and tastefully decorated. It is the best-equipped vacation apartment I have ever experienced, including everything needed in the kitchen. The small apartment building is charming, even with a small garden, and every apartment has a terrace or balcony. Free parking & WiFi. Walk 2 blocks to beach, short walk to center of town and waterfront. The Adria Tours office in Bol turns out to be an amazing extra amenity ... It's like having a personal concierge service! The staff is friendly, English-speaking, and happy to answer questions, arrange tours, etc. Since I'm here on a writer's retreat, having this level of personalized assistance has been golden. I am already arranging my next extended stay here.

Posted by
2 posts

Well. if you want to travel on the north Adria, i will recommend you island Krk or Opatija. Both places are near Rijeka. On the Krk you have a nice beaches, autocamps, villas for renting etc. In Opatija you have plenty of hotels on the sea side, and you can book a room there. I suggest you not to book any hotel below 3 stars. You are gonna be disappointed. Finally, Istra is also good destination to visit. Keep searching.

Posted by
72 posts

Near Montenegro Dubrovnik and Korcula only. You can stay one night at Dubrovnik and three in Korcula. From Korcula you can visit Mljet island.

Have a safe trip

Posted by
3 posts

I would recommend Mlini which is only 10 mins drive/cab from Dubrovnik old town so it is really close to the main sites and for going out in the evening (lots going on in the old town) but is a beautiful and relaxing Bay in its own right - it also has I would say the best beaches (big bay with beaches all around). You can get frequent little boats to the old town too which is amazing to do. Mlini is on the Montenegro side of Dubrovnik old town. Cavtat is also idyllic and closer to Montenegro and Dubrovnik airport but Mlini's beaches are better. They both have a nice buzz about them with cafes and bars open at night so easy to stay there in the evenings too. I prefer this part of the Croatian coast compared to the Montenegrin coast, I have to say, its prettier and more charming.