Please sign in to post.

Vpn

Does anyone use Vpn when traveling or even at home ? Is it worth doing. Pros? Cons?

Posted by
6788 posts

What exactly are your concerns?

I can only think of a few reasons that would justify using VPN (at least to me) while on a vacation abroad:

1. You have to use one, you have no choice, it's a legal or technical requirement for something you plan to do while you're away (eg, if you work for a large company, and you plan to/need to connect to the corporate email or network, you may be required to use VPN -- same as if/when you connect from home).

2. You expect to be doing online banking or financial transactions.

3. You expect to be doing something online where (for some valid reason) you really feel a need to "hide your tracks." Posting to social media or sending email would not count.

For the stuff most tourists do online, I don't think there's really much need for VPN while on vacation. Others may disagree.

Posted by
15 posts

Just looking into vpn for security reasons, access to my information etc.Traveling for 3 weeks in Europe soon. Will be using a Europe SIM ( consumer cellular doesn’t provide service out of the US)’.

Posted by
1828 posts

I use one for all those unsecure sites like hotel and coffee shop internets. It just makes me feel a little safer. I use it more for travel than at home on my own wifi which isn't shared with anyone.

Posted by
1529 posts

absolutely we use a VPN, at a minimum consider the VPN as an insurance policy.

Posted by
619 posts

After years of taking chances I began using a VPN last year when not connected to my personal network. I rely heavily on WiFi enabled portable devices and therefore enjoy the extra layer of protection.

Posted by
2475 posts

I just purchase data SIM cards for both my phone and tablet and completely eliminate having to rely on sketchy/dodgy public and hotel internet - plus I have it on demand anytime, anywhere.