Please sign in to post.

Venice to Croatia

Hello,
We are travelling from Venice to Croatia and due to getting sea sick, would like to travel by train, bus or car. Please advise the best method of transportation without taking a ferry. We can also fly. Time frame...August/September.
Thank you...

Posted by
6113 posts

Croatia has many airports - where are you heading for? How much time do you have?

A useful starting point for route planning is rome2rio.com. Direct connections by air can be limited, depending on where you are heading and your precise travel dates.

Hiring a car with a one way inter-country drop will be very expensive - I have seen fees of 1,000 euros mentioned on this forum.

Posted by
27110 posts

If public transportation looks awkward for your first Croatian destination, you can check out the possibility of shared-shuttle service. I've seen some positive comments about GoOpti on this forum, and there may be a competitor or two. I've never used any such services myself.

Posted by
151 posts

To add to my previous post, I think best to get hire car when you arrive in Istria, this gives you full control of your travel places and times.

Posted by
1371 posts

Drive - I've driven from Croatia to Venice with no problems. Check into car drop fees if you're not returning to Venice.

Posted by
72 posts

Train Hzzp.hr
Bus Getbybus.com
Hire a car, Skyscanner

Island Korcula is nearby mainland. Only 10 minutes by ferry. If you still have interest in beaches and island life. Krk Novalja (north islands) have bridges. Hope it helps

Posted by
5 posts

Hi...we are flying in Sept. from San Diego to Rome and then Rome to Dubrovnik and returning from Split to Rome and Rome back to San Diego as I get very seasick. We chose to fly to save time. We booked a rt flight on Croatian airlines which seemed the best way to go. We are renting a car after sightseeing in Dubronik and driving to Zagreb and then Split where we will drop the car off and use public transportation until we fly out of Split to Rome. We originally were going to go from Venice to Croatia, but it was going to take a lot longer. Good luck and be sure to wear seabands if you don't have them already;.
Cheers,
Cynthia