Please sign in to post.

travel itinerary help late August/ start of September 2020

We are road tripping the Balkans from mid August to start of September with our 4 children. Wondering if this is a bit too ambitious. Im just worried about the crowds of people in August so thinking maybe we would be better off trying to get onto 1 or 2 of the islands to relax a bit more. Not a lot of interest in going inland....would like to keep to the ocean since that is a novelty for us. The islands of Vis Korcula and Mljet appeal to us although a little worried about late August and cruise ships and crowds in Korcula. Wondering if people would suggest taking Montenegro or Slovenia off and adding islands or does it look ok as is?

Aug 16-19 3-4 nights- Budapest
(~11 hour drive) BIGGEST drive of our entire trip to Kotor BUT I just want to get it done! We are Canadians and our kids are used to the odd long haul drive and all of us agree we would rather just persevere through it and be done. If you have any MUST see stops pls let me know to break it up though.

3 night- Kotor, Montenegro
Day trips from here

2 night Dubrovnik
-Day trip to Mostar?
-or Day trip to Mljet island or elaphiti islands?

3 nights Split
(1 day trip out to the blue caves), ancient Salona, Omis, Klis fortress, Krka, Sibenik, Trogir....lots to choose from

4 nights Solta (take car ferry)
We just found a cute airbnb that was still available at end of August that sleeps 6 which I am finding tricky for late august on other islands so wondering if Solta is lovely too?

1 night Plitvice (do Krka Park on route and then spend the night and get up early and do Plitvice Lakes in the am and then drive to Rovinj or other small istrian town?

3 night Rovinj or similar small town to day trip from

3 nights Slovenia

3 nights Venice

Posted by
17638 posts
  1. I am going to assume you know the drop costs and the issues of taking a rental car out of the EU and have it all worked out.

2. Cant imagine spending 3 nights in Kotor. Maybe 1 in Perast and 2 in Budva; but not in Kotor.

3. I would fly to Titograd from Budapest. Rent the car there, then begin the road trip. Flights are $35 to $100 nonstop.

Posted by
19 posts
  1. Yes we have the car issue worked out. I would LOVE to fly too but we have leased vs rented our car for 3 months which with all 6 of us is much cheaper and more flexible for us. We are starting in France in July and ending in Italy mid October.

1. Thanks for the Kotor input! Will readjust our Montenegro plan.

Do you think it looks too busy still? Maybe we should be dropping Montenegro all together?

Posted by
17638 posts

I love Montenegro. I spent a week driving the cost and mountains. Beautiful country. Kotor is nice, but if you are going to Dubrovnik, Dubrovnik is similar, but a lot better. Perast is a good stop on the Bay of Kotor for a night and some sight seeing, then drive to Kotor for lunch, then over the mountain to Budva and maybe Ulcinj.

Posted by
1570 posts

We did a day trip around the Bay of Kotor. We stopped in Budva, Kotor, and Perast. Perast is our favorite. It's smaller, prettier (IMO), and much less crowded than Kotor.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks everyone. I spent the day tweaking our itinerary. How does this look now?

Budapest- 4 nights
Zabljak (near Durmitor Park) - 1 night
Perast- 2 nights
Dubrovnik- 2 nights
Korcula- 5 nights (car ferry)
Split- 2 nights (car ferry)
Vis- 4 nights
Sibenik- 1 night
Plitvice- 1 night
Rovinj- 3 nights
Slovenia....3 nights but haven't researched yet

any input would be greatly appreciated:)