Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

Taking a catamaran cruise for the first week in June. Company is requiring trip insurance. We will be in country a total of 15 days. any suggestions? Not even sure where to start. Leaving valuables at home, so primarily medical insurance.

Posted by
23230 posts

Generally the reference to trip insurance is related travel interruption, cancelled airlines, hotels, and not medical. Generally medical insurance is for medical expenses beyond your normal insurance. For example -- if you are covered by Medicare, it doesn't work outside of the US. However, your supplement might work and if employed, your insurance could be more than adequate. So you need to determine exactly what type of insurance is needed. You can start at Insuremytrip.com.

Posted by
8332 posts

Medicare part B does not work outside the US, BUT... Most Medicare Advantage plans and people with supplemental Medicare policies do have coverage. I wish people would stop with the "Medicare doesn't cover blanket statements" because the types of additional coverage that many people do have with their Medicare coverage does.

Travel insurance really isn't about valuables as mentioned above. It is more about what if something interrupted your trip or you were delayed getting to it, etc. I key issue in these times is what if you tested positive for covid and were required to quarantine for several days, who would cover those costs.

Posted by
45 posts

There are some popular websites for trip insurance that allow you to see several different policies based on your inputs. One is insuremytrip.com. Another is squaremouth.com. Another is TripInsuranceStore.com. TripInsuranceStore.com has a board on CruiseCritic.com. There are a lot of questions from folks on the board that may be helpful for you.

I have no interest in any of these companies, nor have I used them. My secondary health insurance covers me outside of the U.S. although I would have to pay for any medical care out-of-pocket and then later file a claim. Some people would not be able to pay for the medical care out-of-pocket, so tour companies like to see trip insurance that covers medical costs.

Posted by
1393 posts

My suggestion is to try Generali Travel Insurance. I buy from them when I need to get travel insurance. You can buy coverage for the amount you want to insure be it your flights, your non-refundable cruise etc. Even their basic policy covers medical up to $50K, also medical evacuation in addition to the usual flight delay, flight cancellation.

Another resource is InsureMytrip.com which lists multiple companies offering travel insurance.
Have fun on the cat!

Posted by
45 posts

Found another one! This one only does medical insurance from Blue Cross Blue Shield.
https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/

The fine print:
"GeoBlue is the trade name of Worldwide Insurance Services, LLC (Worldwide Services Insurance Agency, LLC in California and New York), an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. GeoBlue is the administrator of coverage provided under insurance policies issued by 4 Ever Life International Limited, Bermuda, an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association."

I've been researching because we have an expensive trip to South America booked for February 2023 (includes Rio Carnival!!). At our age, insurance is expensive but we don't need medical coverage. Besides Medicare (which doesn't work on an international trip) we have the same BCBS insurance we had when we worked and carried it into retirement. So it will cover medical expenses. We only want to cover the trip. All the policies I look at cover medical and the trip. I'm going to keep looking.