Please sign in to post.

Train Travel Eastern Europe

After Rick's Best of Adriatic Tour next April, we want to travel to Budapest, Vienna, Prague and Warsaw. Any advice on train travel? Or, the best way to get from Dubrovnik to Budapest.

Posted by
2330 posts

Well, first a nit that I need to pick: The places you mention are all in Central Europe, not Eastern Europe :-)

Dubrovnik to Budapest you should just fly. There is no convenient other way. For Budapest to Vienna and Vienna to Prague train is the obvious choice. Prague to Warsaw is doable by train, but you may want to look in to flights. Unless you intend to visit a few places on the way.

Posted by
19373 posts

From Dubrovnik Austrian Air flies direct flight to Vienna.

Another option is a direct flight on Wizz air from Podgorica to Budapest. But it is only on Tuesday and Satruday so you have to time it well. A night or two in Montenegro isnt a bad thing at all. Perast for a night then on to the airport would be wonderful actually. Or Perast and Budva a night each.

With the Vienna connection, I would do Vienna, then train to Budapest, then a flight (Ryan) to Prague. The flight really is several hours faster door to door than the train. Last time I checked about $125 with luggage, so twice the cost of the train.

Neither Prague nor Vienna nor Budapest are particularlly close to Warsaw. The train will take 9 hours or more. LOT flies Prague to Warsaw, but they are proud of the tickets. Figure $300.

FINAL ANSWER: Flights to Warsaw are a lot cheaper out of Vienna and Budapest. So maybe you do Croatia air non-stop to Prague (under $200) then fly to Budapest on Wizz (under $150), then train to Vienna (under $50), then fly LOT or Austrian to Warsaw (under $150).