Please sign in to post.

Suggested Itinerary? - Help Please

My girlfriend and I will be renting a car in Milan and driving to Croatia during the first week of June. We have 8 days/7 nights and no plans yet. Any suggestions from you well-traveled folks out there? I always receive such great advice from those of you who subscribe to the R.S. Travel Forums! Thanks in Advance.

Posted by
8660 posts

Venice as their is no place like it on the planet. At least 2 nights.

Posted by
7354 posts

We rented a car in Venice years ago and headed into Croatia, but as you'll pass thru Slovenia along the way, consider spending a night there in Piran, a charming town on the coast, know for getting windy at times.

Highlights in Croatia included Split (with Diocletian's Palace) and Plitvice Lakes Park. It sounds like Plitvice is getting more and more popular these days, and I've seen postings on this forum suggesting you arrive early in the day, and beat the crowds.

Be sure to try some ajvar (pronounced eye-var), a red pepper based condiment that makes ketchup pale by comparison.

Posted by
117 posts

Thank you. We have no plans but want to see one or two of the islands and definitely Split and Dubrovnik. I have been to Italy 9 times (two of my kids live in Milan), so I am not looking to see any other regions of Italy this trip.

Posted by
6113 posts

Venice with a car is hassle

Milan to Dubrovnik is a 2,500 km round trip by the shortest route - far too much driving for only 8 days if you actually want to get out of the car!

I would suggest that you have a couple of days in Slovenia and only head as far as Istria in Croatia. See the hill towns such as Motovun, explore the coast and visit the island of Cres or Krk.

Having a car in Split and Dubrovnik is hassle and you need another week to get this far south.