Please sign in to post.

Split Croatia

I'm planning a family trip to Austria and we are looking for a 2-3 day stop-over to get home. Split Croatia has a good flight option. Is it worth a 2-day visit? We were looking for an option with beach and sea-views since we'll be in the Alps for the rest of our trip, but of course options for culture, city experience, castle-tours, etc.. Any comments or other suggestions?

Posted by
336 posts

If this is a good flight option, yes.
If you have other flight options to propose, we could compare the different cities
There's a good day of visit for Split. Lots of history as the old part is built in a huge ancient palace, Diocletian palace. From there, you can also go and spend some time in Trogir(I had a car but you can get there by boat), or on the island of Hvar by ferry.
We enjoyed Split a lot.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you for your comments. Actually, a change of heart here as I have discovered that routing down to Split Croatia will cost us significantly more miles than if we plan our stop most other options, including most points in Italy, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain or Ireland. I would appreciate any "top picks" for a 2-3 day visit after leaving Austria before heading home to Canada for a special experience with my teenage kids and husband. Ideally to combine a little pampering or beach mixed-in with great sight-seeing or activities. My daughter speaks French but has not had much opportunity to use it, so my initial thought was France (may the south?), but am hesitant as I've heard it's quite pricey vs. other equally wonderful destinations.

Posted by
5687 posts

I loved Slovenia. You can train down from Austria to Ljubljana - a lovely city pretty easily for a few days. Day trip to Lake Bled. Maybe fly out of Venice (shuttle from Ljubljana) or Zagreb (train).

Posted by
336 posts

Hello,
Croatia is not cheap anymore so I would put France quite close actually.
I'm a fan of the Provence region so anywhere around Cassis(1/2 hour from Marseille)
Less expensive, the region of Languedoc Roussillon, especially around Collioure, a great little town-village. But you'd need a car to go see other things, as opposed to Split.
If not the Côte d'azur, but more expensive. I'm personnally not a fan of this spot, but it's just me.
Just a bit too bling-bling for me.

Posted by
336 posts

And if not France, Barcelona is probably ideal as the beach is there and plenty of history