Please sign in to post.

Sailing in Croatia?

My family of 5 is considering renting a sailboat with skipper for our trip to Croatia in early June. Does anyone have advice on which companies to use, which islands are a must see and which is the best city to depart from? Thank you in advance.

Posted by
470 posts

I can't provide any company recommendations as I always go with friends or family, but I can recommend that you focus on Northern Dalmatia, the area around Zadar. There are hundreds of smaller islands there, it is much less touristy than the larger islands down south and the wonderful Kornati National Park is there, which can only be explored by boat.

Posted by
75 posts

Heidi,
Check out the town of Split, there are lots of sailboat charters companies located there. Its more centrally located and is Croatias second city. It is also a great town to explore since the roman palace takes up most of the water front. Talked to a lot of Brits sailboat crusing when I was on the RS Croatia tour last year. Next to Greece this looks like a really great sailboat crusing area.

There is also a US sail charter company there : Moorings which I am sure you have heard of.
Lots of islands, check RS Croatia guidebook for the islands of Hvar and Korcula, but there are many, many more.
You will have the time of your life,
I will be crusing there next time for sure.
Liam