Please sign in to post.

Plitvice Lakes

We are traveling there by car in mid June this year. Just wondering how safe our luggage will be in the trunk of our rental car. Also, if indeed there are swimming facilities, will the water temperature be bearable for swimming or merely dipping?

Posted by
27094 posts

There are "no swimming" signs in the park. Whether there are nearby places where swimming is allowed, I do not know. I have no idea what the water would be like; I'm not a swimmer.

The park has become extraordinarily popular and is swamped with day-trippers. If you've seen photos of mobs at the Vatican Museums or the Eiffel Tower, that's what the Plitvice walkways can look like. In order to enjoy yourself, you really need to spend the night before your visit very near the park so you can get an early start the following morning. It will make a huge difference.

Although I know nothing about the risk of car break-ins in Croatia in general or at the park in particular, tourists are commonly urged to leave nothing in their cars when they are parked at touristy locations.

Posted by
1166 posts

acraven is correct - you do NOT swim at Plitvice.

You can swim at Krka National Park, however.

Posted by
2705 posts

Acraven is right. If you get their any later than at first open you will be fighting hoards for limited space. You walk on boardwalks and can easily get shoved aside by groups of large-camera toting tourists following a guide with a flag. There is a hotel with restaurant in the park. Like staying in communist Yugoslavia, part of the fun. Then get out there early. But, look where you are going and be prepared to shoulder aside those who are not looking where they are going. Otherwise, your opportunity to swim will present itself suddenly!

Posted by
27094 posts

There are some smaller places outside the park listed on booking.com. Someone mentioned here that some of them may offer shuttle service to the park.