Please sign in to post.

Planning trip 2024 June

Okay, I know people get critizied for not providing enough details but I am gonna do it anyway. Plan your dream itinerary. Wife and I are active, love everything...walking, history, outdoors, food, cobbled streets, locals, money is not much of an issue. We will typically vrbo, NOT DRIVE. we have 14 days, 11 on the ground to explore.

Looking for advice on central location ro be able to see as much as we can in the 11 days on the ground. Where to go, transportation options, etc..we like history, hiking, site seeing etc... not scared to move homebase 2 or 3 times within 11 days if it makes sense.

GO!!!

Posted by
4381 posts

If you are not driving, this is a fairly easy task--go to the main places that are on the ferry/catamaran line. The bus system is great too.
You have over a year to plan, so if you put in some of what has appealed to you so far, I'll join in--but the famous places in Croatia are very well known!
I would definitely move bases at least 3 times, as distances are such that one base typically does not work.

Posted by
262 posts

Split is central to the Dalmatian Coast.

But, here's a somewhat different thought since the two of you are active. We did a 6-day guided bike (e-bikes, actually) trip. There are a number of operators who provide both guided and "self-guided" trips. Road bike, cross bike and e-bike options. There are opportunities both on the Dalmatian Coast and in Istria.

Our trip started with full day, shakedown day in Split. Then a day trip to the Island of Brac and back to Split. Then on to Hvar (one day), Korcula (two days) and finally down the Peljesac Peninsula to Dubrovnik. You could add something like that to 4 or 5 days based in Split or Dubrovnik (or 2 or 3 based in each), and work in day tours or bus trips to Montenegro, Mostar, Krka and/or Plitvice.

Anyway, that's a different, perhaps more active and varied approach to 11 days on the ground.