Please sign in to post.

Passport control

This isn't necessarily a Croatia question, but was wondering for a flight back to NYC from Zagreb with a connection in either Paris (CDG) or Amsterdam Schiphol, would we need to go through passport control in connecting airport? Trying to determine how much of layover we'll need to consider. Thanks.

Posted by
1307 posts

No matter what the answer, I would encourage to change planes in Amsterdam rather than CDG.
It's a much easier airport to navigate.
Happy trails.

Posted by
4375 posts

Is it going to be booked on one ticket? In that case, the airline will give you a "legal" time that is expected to be sufficient.
If you are booking two separate tickets, I'd give it 4-5 hours to be safe.
Agree AMS is far preferable to CDG.

Posted by
548 posts

Assuming you book this on one ticket, neither airport will require you to clear passport control, as both Croatia and the USA are outside of the Schengen area.

CDG will however require you to clear a security re-screening because you are coming from a non-Schengen airport, whereas I think (but am not sure) that Amsterdam is configured such that you can avoid it. So another vote for Amsterdam here.

Posted by
8889 posts

Croatia is not in the Schengen Area (click here for map from the EU website). That means you will go through passport control to exit Croatia when you leave there, and anywhere else (Paris, Amsterdam) you will stay "airside", not officially eneter the Schengen Area and NOT go through passport control.

I concur with the comments in the previous posts, if it is one ticket the airline will have calculated you have enough time.

Posted by
305 posts

Thanks for all the responses. It will be one ticket. My wife is citizen of Philippines with Philippines passport. She will get all necessary visas, but will that change any of the responses? We are looking at a flight with one hour and 25 minute layover in Amsterdam. Thanks again.

Posted by
8889 posts

My wife is citizen of Philippines with Philippines passport. She will get all necessary visas, but will that change any of the responses?

Not as far as I know. By "necessary visas" I assume you mean a visa for Croatia and anywhere else you are visiting.
Are you also visiting the Schengen Area? According to Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_the_Schengen_Area ) your wife would need a visa for the Schengen Area
However if she is just doing airside transit at Paris or Amsterdam she needs no visa, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_the_Schengen_Area#Airport_transit

And don't 100% trust Wikipedia, check with embassy websites.

Posted by
305 posts

Thanks Chris. We are also visiting Slovenia. We are currently preparing for required Visa applications for respective consulates.

Posted by
305 posts

And yes, we're not leaving airport during connections.

Posted by
8889 posts

We are also visiting Slovenia. We are currently preparing for required Visa applications for respective consulates.

Slovenia IS part of the Schengen Area, so that is a Schengen Visa you are applying for, which will be valid in all Schengen Countries, including France and the Netherlands.

Posted by
305 posts

Thanks again. Yes, but we're spending more time in Croatia so we have to get that Visa first before applying for Slovenia Visa.