Please sign in to post.

North or South Croatia?

So I'm in Germany for a couple of weeks for work in Sept/Oct and hoping to spend some time in Slovenia after that (Ljubjana and Bled). that gives me about 5 days or so in Croatia. That's kind of where I am stuck...

I'm hoping to get some activities in like hiking and kayaking. (Also not that much into lying on beaches, even though I enjoy ocean vistas) My initial plan was Dubronovik along with some day trips to Kotor, Split, Plitvice etc. However, considering the logistics of getting down south from Lb, is it worth scrapping south completely and just checking our Rovinj, Krk and the Istria?

The internet seems split if Dubronovik is overrated or not :) Happy to fly there is it is actually stunning, if not, potential places to do up north that are equally awesome?

Posted by
6113 posts

It takes time to cover Croatia, with it being long and thin. Split and Plitvice are too far away from Dubrovnik to cover as day trips - Dubrovnik to Split is c 5+ hours door to door. Plitvice is 2.5 hours from Split in a car and longer by public transport.

Dubrovnik is pretty, but can be overrun with cruise ships that ruin it. With your timescale, I would be tempted to stay in Istria, as there is plenty to see here and it's closer to reach, but it's your trip, not mine!

The Istrian hill towns are stunning and Rovinj is a good base.

Posted by
151 posts

Like Jennifer, I too would suggest sticking with Istria and Kvarner area. Will you rent a car or use public transport?

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks both! That's helpful.

I'm happy to drive (will just need to get an automatic car and pay a premium!) Would you say the north is as beautiful? Any suggestions on where else I could go for that Mediterranean type European holiday?

Posted by
470 posts

I second the suggestion to stick to Istria and the Kvarner. With only 5 days, it makes no sense spending practically two whole days travelling to and back from the south.

For hiking, also look into the Triglav National Park in Slovenia since you'll be visiting Bled. Kayaking and whitewater rafting is excellent in the Bovec area of the Soca Valley, also in the TNP. Unless you meant sea kayaking, of course. :)